1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous - how can I combine these open sets

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    continuous -- how can I combine these open sets

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let ##X,Y## be compact spaces
    if ##f \in C(X \times Y)## and ## \epsilon > 0##
    then ## \exists g_1,\dots , g_n \in C(X) ## and ## h_1, \dots , h_n \in C(Y) ##
    such that ##|f(x,y)- \Sigma _{k=1}^n g_k(x)h_k(y)| < \epsilon ## for all ##(x,y) \in X \times Y ##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##X,Y## are compact which means that for all open covers of ##X,Y##, there exists finite subcover.
    So, i have been trying to think of a way to pick for all ## x_0 \in X ## and ## y_0 \in Y ##, a function ##g_{x_0} \in C(X)## and ## h_{y_0} \in C(Y) ## such that ##f(x_0,y_0) = g_{x_0}(x_0)h_{y_0}(y_0)## then there exists an open subset ##U_{x_0,y_0}## of ##X \times Y## such that ##|f(x,y) - g_{x_0}(x)h_{y_0}(y)| < \epsilon ## for all ##(x,y) \in U_{x_0,y_0} ##. Then we can form an open cover of ##X,Y## and so there is a finite subcover, ##U_1,\dots , U_n ##

but i don't know how I can combine these open sets to get my functions ##g_1,\dots ,g_n,h_1, \dots , h_n## such that ##|f(x,y)- \Sigma _{k=1}^n g_k(x)h_k(y)| < \epsilon ## for all ##(x,y) \in X \times Y ##

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook