1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity ##f:\mathbb_{R}^3 \to \mathbb_{R}## with Lipschitz

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove
    ## f(x,y,z)=xyw## is continuos using the Lipschitz condition

2. Relevant equations

the Lipschitz condition states:
    ##|f(x,y,z)-f(x_0,y_0,z_0)| \leq C ||(x,y,z)-(x_0,y_0,z_0)||##
    with ##0 \leq C##

3. The attempt at a solution

##|xyz-x_0y_0z_0|=|xyz-x_0y_0z_0+x_0yz-x_0yz|\leq|(x-x_0)(yz)|+|x_0(yz-y_0z_0)|##
    ##\leq|(x-x_0)(yz)|+|x_0(yz-y_0z_0+yz_0-yz_0)| \leq |yz(x-x_0)|+|x_0[y(z-z_0)+z_0(y-y_0)]|##
    ## \leq |yz(x-x_0)|+|x_0y(z-z_0)|+|x_0z_0(y-y_0)|##
    and by choosing ##C=max\{|yz|,|x_0y|,|x_0z_0|\}## I have my inequality.
    I'm not sure I can do this, though. Are all the passages logic?
    Thank you in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't check the rest, but this part won't work. The constant needs to be independent of ##x##,##y##, and ##z##. But yours depends on ##y## and ##z##.

Also, which norm are you using for ##\|(x,y,z) - (x_0,y_0,z_0)\|##? From your work, it would appear that you are using ##\| (a,b,c)\| = |a| + |b| + |c|## (the 1-norm), but unless otherwise specified, in ##R^{n}## it's usual to assume that the 2-norm is intended: ##\|(a,b,c)\| = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}##.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    I'm using the 1-norm
    any suggestions on how to proceed then?

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4
    Here is a different approach. Start in one dimension with h(x) = x. This is clearly Lipschitz continuous with C = 1.

Now do an induction step. Suppose we assume that g(x,y) = xy is Lip continuous. Does it follow that f(x,y,z) = xyz is Lip continuous?

You can certainly write f(x,y,z) = g(x,y)h(z).

Can you finish it from here?

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    Here's my attempt:
    assuming g(x,y)=xy Lipschitz
    then
    g(x,y)*h(z) is the product of two Lipschitz functions, which is Lipschitz itself. In particular,
    f(x,y,z)=g(x,y)*h(z)=##C \cdot |xy - x_0y_0|\cdot1\cdot|z-z_0|## but ##|xy-x_0y_0|## is equal to ##(x-x_0)(y-y_0)## with scalar product (i'm not sure this passage actually works, but i don't know how to rewrite ##|xy-x_0y_0|## in an "useful" manner, such as ##|x-x_0| |y-y_0|##, so:
    ##f(x,y,z)=|z\cdot xy|\leq 1\cdot |z-z_0| \cdot C (|x-x_0|\cdot|y-y_0|)##
    anf therefore f is lipschitz with constant C.
    then by induction g is lipschitz too, as assumed.

7. Oct 6, 2013 #6
    Stop right there. You've just said g(x,y)h(z) is Lipschitz continuous, so f(x,y,z) = xyz = g(x,y)h(z) is Lipschitz continuous. You don't have to prove another thing ; if it is Lip continuous, it is continuous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted