Continuity ##f:\mathbb_{R}^3 \to \mathbb_{R}## with Lipschitz

In summary: You are done.The interesting part is does the Lipschitz condition for g(x,y) imply the Lipschitz condition for f(x,y,z)? So, the answer is yes.
Felafel

Homework Statement

Prove
## f(x,y,z)=xyw## is continuos using the Lipschitz condition

Homework Equations

the Lipschitz condition states:
##|f(x,y,z)-f(x_0,y_0,z_0)| \leq C ||(x,y,z)-(x_0,y_0,z_0)||##
with ##0 \leq C##

The Attempt at a Solution

##|xyz-x_0y_0z_0|=|xyz-x_0y_0z_0+x_0yz-x_0yz|\leq|(x-x_0)(yz)|+|x_0(yz-y_0z_0)|##
##\leq|(x-x_0)(yz)|+|x_0(yz-y_0z_0+yz_0-yz_0)| \leq |yz(x-x_0)|+|x_0[y(z-z_0)+z_0(y-y_0)]|##
## \leq |yz(x-x_0)|+|x_0y(z-z_0)|+|x_0z_0(y-y_0)|##
and by choosing ##C=max\{|yz|,|x_0y|,|x_0z_0|\}## I have my inequality.
I'm not sure I can do this, though. Are all the passages logic?
Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Felafel said:
and by choosing ##C=max\{|yz|,|x_0y|,|x_0z_0|\}## I have my inequality.
I didn't check the rest, but this part won't work. The constant needs to be independent of ##x##,##y##, and ##z##. But yours depends on ##y## and ##z##.

Also, which norm are you using for ##\|(x,y,z) - (x_0,y_0,z_0)\|##? From your work, it would appear that you are using ##\| (a,b,c)\| = |a| + |b| + |c|## (the 1-norm), but unless otherwise specified, in ##R^{n}## it's usual to assume that the 2-norm is intended: ##\|(a,b,c)\| = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}##.

I'm using the 1-norm
any suggestions on how to proceed then?

Here is a different approach. Start in one dimension with h(x) = x. This is clearly Lipschitz continuous with C = 1.

Now do an induction step. Suppose we assume that g(x,y) = xy is Lip continuous. Does it follow that f(x,y,z) = xyz is Lip continuous?

You can certainly write f(x,y,z) = g(x,y)h(z).

Can you finish it from here?

Here's my attempt:
assuming g(x,y)=xy Lipschitz
then
g(x,y)*h(z) is the product of two Lipschitz functions, which is Lipschitz itself. In particular,
f(x,y,z)=g(x,y)*h(z)=##C \cdot |xy - x_0y_0|\cdot1\cdot|z-z_0|## but ##|xy-x_0y_0|## is equal to ##(x-x_0)(y-y_0)## with scalar product (i'm not sure this passage actually works, but i don't know how to rewrite ##|xy-x_0y_0|## in an "useful" manner, such as ##|x-x_0| |y-y_0|##, so:
##f(x,y,z)=|z\cdot xy|\leq 1\cdot |z-z_0| \cdot C (|x-x_0|\cdot|y-y_0|)##
anf therefore f is lipschitz with constant C.
then by induction g is lipschitz too, as assumed.

Felafel said:
Here's my attempt:
assuming g(x,y)=xy Lipschitz
then
g(x,y)*h(z) is the product of two Lipschitz functions, which is Lipschitz itself.

Stop right there. You've just said g(x,y)h(z) is Lipschitz continuous, so f(x,y,z) = xyz = g(x,y)h(z) is Lipschitz continuous. You don't have to prove another thing ; if it is Lip continuous, it is continuous.

Likes 1 person

1. What does it mean for a function to have continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function where it maintains a consistent value as the input values change. In other words, the function has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph.

2. How is continuity determined for a function?

Continuity is determined by evaluating the limit of the function at a given point. If the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, then the function is continuous at that point.

3. What is the significance of Lipschitz continuity?

Lipschitz continuity is a stronger form of continuity that takes into account the rate of change of the function. It ensures that the function does not have a steep slope, which can cause numerical instability in calculations.

4. How is Lipschitz continuity different from uniform continuity?

Lipschitz continuity guarantees a constant rate of change for the function, while uniform continuity only requires that the rate of change approaches zero as the input values get closer. This means that a Lipschitz continuous function is also uniformly continuous, but the reverse is not always true.

5. Can a function be continuous but not Lipschitz continuous?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not Lipschitz continuous. For example, a function with a vertical asymptote is continuous but does not have a well-defined rate of change, so it cannot be Lipschitz continuous.