Continuous Variable pdf from a cdf

In summary, the probability density function of W = 2X+Y, where f X,Y(x,y) = (8 +xy^3)/64 if -1<x<1, -2<y<2 and 0 otherwise, can be found by breaking the region into five parts: {w < -4}, {w > 4}, region A (bounded on the right by the line L1 passing through the corner (-1,2)), region B (bounded on the left by line L1 and on the right by line L2 passing through the corner (1,-2)), and region C (bounded on the left by line L2). The resulting double integrals can be solved to give the probability density function of
Aria1

Homework Statement

f X,Y(x,y) = (8 +xy^3)/64, if -1<x<1, -2<y<2
0, otherwise
Find the probability density function of W = 2X+Y.

Homework Equations

F(w) = Pr{W≤w}=∫∫f(x,y)dxdy
f(w) = d/dw F(w)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the support of W to be -4<w<4
I think the region should be broken up into: F(w) = 0, w<-4
A, -4≤w<0
B, 0≤w<4
1, 4≤w<∞
For expression B, I took the double integral: ∫-2 to 2 ∫ -1 to (w-y)/2 [(8+xy^3)/64]dxdy and got (w+5)/10.

The x-bound (w-y)/2 comes from the given 2X+Y=W, isolating X

For expression A, I tried the double integral ∫-2 to (w+2)∫-1 to (w-y)/2 [(8+xy^3)/64]dxdy, but am finding myself unsure of this setup (the result is a very lengthy integral). The y-bound of w+2 comes from the top intersection point of the line 2X+Y=W and x=-1.

Is there some flaw in my logic here? Any input on any part of this is much appreciated...I'm not positive about any of it, so if you see a flaw somewhere, please let me know. Also, just to clarify, what I am doing is trying to find the cdf which I can then differentiate to get the pdf. There may be other ways, but this is the only method we have covered thus far in class, so if we can stick to that, it would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aria1 said:

Homework Statement

f X,Y(x,y) = (8 +xy^3)/64, if -1<x<1, -2<y<2
0, otherwise
Find the probability density function of W = 2X+Y.

Homework Equations

F(w) = Pr{W≤w}=∫∫f(x,y)dxdy
f(w) = d/dw F(w)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the support of W to be -4<w<4
I think the region should be broken up into: F(w) = 0, w<-4
A, -4≤w<0
B, 0≤w<4
1, 4≤w<∞
For expression B, I took the double integral: ∫-2 to 2 ∫ -1 to (w-y)/2 [(8+xy^3)/64]dxdy and got (w+5)/10.

The x-bound (w-y)/2 comes from the given 2X+Y=W, isolating X

For expression A, I tried the double integral ∫-2 to (w+2)∫-1 to (w-y)/2 [(8+xy^3)/64]dxdy, but am finding myself unsure of this setup (the result is a very lengthy integral). The y-bound of w+2 comes from the top intersection point of the line 2X+Y=W and x=-1.

Is there some flaw in my logic here? Any input on any part of this is much appreciated...I'm not positive about any of it, so if you see a flaw somewhere, please let me know. Also, just to clarify, what I am doing is trying to find the cdf which I can then differentiate to get the pdf. There may be other ways, but this is the only method we have covered thus far in class, so if we can stick to that, it would be great! Thanks!

Your basic method is OK, but you are missing a region. Besides the "trivial" regions {w < -4} (where F(w) = 0) and {w > 4} (where F(w) = 1) you should have three regions:
(1) region A, bounded on the right by the line L1 (2x+y = w passing through the corner (-1,2) );
(2) region B bounded on the left by line L1 and on the right by line L2 (the line 2x+y=w passing through the corner (1,-2)); and
(3) region C, bounded on the left by line L2.

In regions A and C it does not matter much whether you first integrate over x and then over y, or vice-versa. However, in region B it matters a lot: you should draw a diagram to see which approach is the easiest.

RGV

I don't quite understand the difference between your L1 and L2. Isn't the line 2x+y=w that passes through (-1,2) and the line 2x+y=w that passes through (1,-2) the same line? The diagram I have is of a rectangle with bounds -1<x<1, -2<y<2, with the line 2x+y=w passing through the rectangle at any point. The line passing through (-1,2) and (1,-2) also passes through the origin. With this diagram, I am not seeing the three regions, so perhaps my diagram is incorrect in some way? Thank you for your help.

Aria1 said:
I don't quite understand the difference between your L1 and L2. Isn't the line 2x+y=w that passes through (-1,2) and the line 2x+y=w that passes through (1,-2) the same line? The diagram I have is of a rectangle with bounds -1<x<1, -2<y<2, with the line 2x+y=w passing through the rectangle at any point. The line passing through (-1,2) and (1,-2) also passes through the origin. With this diagram, I am not seeing the three regions, so perhaps my diagram is incorrect in some way? Thank you for your help.

You are right, of course; I had a brain meltdown, and temporarily thought of the rectangle as 4x2 instead of 2x4. I should not post late at night.

That's completely fine...I'm just glad I wasn't completely misunderstanding things :) With that clarification, my method looks correct to you then?

Aria1 said:
That's completely fine...I'm just glad I wasn't completely misunderstanding things :) With that clarification, my method looks correct to you then?

Yes.

Thanks so much!

Ray Vickson said:
Yes.

I ended up with F(w) = 0, w<-4
(1/512)((w^6)/60 - w^4 - (16/3)(w^3) + (512/5)w + (904/3)), -4≤w<0
(w+5)/10 , 0≤ w< 4
1, 4≤w
From there, f(w) = (1/512)((w^5)/10 - 4w^3 - 16w^2 + (512/5)), -4<w<0
1/10, 0<w<4
0, otherwise
When I integrate f(w) from -4 to 4, however, I get 0.9 not 1. Any insights as to what might be going wrong?

Aria1 said:

The (904/3) should be 248, but that does not alter the pdf

Aria1 said:
(w+5)/10 , 0≤ w< 4
1, 4≤w
From there, f(w) = (1/512)((w^5)/10 - 4w^3 - 16w^2 + (512/5)), -4<w<0
1/10, 0<w<4
0, otherwise
When I integrate f(w) from -4 to 4, however, I get 0.9 not 1. Any insights as to what might be going wrong?

I get:
[tex] F(w) = \int_{y=-2}^{2+w} \int_{x=-1}^{(w-y)/2} f(x,y) \, dx \, dy \\
= \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{5} w -\frac{1}{96} w^3- \frac{1}{512} y^4 + \frac{1}{30720}y^6 [/tex]
for -4 < w < 0
and
[tex] F(w) = 1 - \int_{y=w-2}^2 \int_{x=(w-y)/2}^1 f(x,y) \,dx \, dy \\
= \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{5} w -\frac{1}{96} w^3+ \frac{1}{512} y^4 - \frac{1}{30720}y^6 [/tex]
for 0 < w < 4. This gives F(4) = 1, as it should, since F(w) is the cdf.

I did all computations using Maple.

Last edited:

1. What is a continuous variable pdf?

A continuous variable pdf (probability density function) is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It maps the probabilities of different values of the variable onto a continuous curve.

2. How is a continuous variable pdf different from a discrete variable pdf?

A continuous variable pdf is used for continuous random variables, which can take on any value within a range, while a discrete variable pdf is used for discrete random variables, which can only take on specific, separate values. This means that a continuous variable pdf will be a smooth curve, while a discrete variable pdf will be a series of individual bars or points.

3. What is the relationship between a continuous variable pdf and a cdf?

A cdf (cumulative distribution function) is the integral of a pdf and represents the probability that a random variable takes on a value less than or equal to a given value. In other words, the cdf is the area under the pdf curve up to a certain point. The pdf and cdf are closely related and can be used to calculate probabilities and make predictions about the variable.

4. Can a continuous variable pdf be used to calculate specific probabilities?

Yes, a continuous variable pdf can be used to calculate the probability of a variable falling within a specific range or at a specific point. This is done by finding the area under the pdf curve within the desired range or at the desired point. However, since a continuous variable can take on an infinite number of values, the probability of a single point occurring is technically 0.

5. How is a continuous variable pdf used in real-world applications?

A continuous variable pdf is commonly used in statistics and data analysis to model and analyze real-world phenomena that involve continuous variables, such as time, distance, or temperature. It is also used in machine learning and predictive modeling to make predictions based on probability distributions. Additionally, it is used in fields such as physics and economics to understand and make predictions about complex systems.