Contour integral trick with propagators

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the basic propagator integral trick involving the integration of a complex function with poles at p^{0}=E_{p} and p^{0}=-E_{p}. The individual is struggling and seeking help, and suggests a helpful resource for further understanding.
pleasehelpmeno
Hi I am struggling trying to see understand the basic propagator integral trick.

[itex] \int \frac{d^{3}p}{(2\pi^{3})}\left\lbrace \frac{1}{2E_{p}}e^{-ip.(x-y)}|_{p_{0}=E_{p}}+\frac{1}{-2E_{p}}e^{ip.(x-y)}|_{p_{0}=-E_{p}}\right\rbrace = \int \frac{d^{3}p}{(2\pi^{3})}\int \frac{dp^{0}}{(i2\pi)}\frac{-1}{p^{2}-m^{2}}e^{-ip.(x-y)}[/itex]

I know it can be solved by contour integration about poles [itex] p^{0}=E_{p}[/itex] and [itex] p^{0}=-E_{p}[/itex] respectively but I just can't do it. Any help would be appreciated, I can provide working to what I have done but there doesn't seem much point because I am very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most books race through that part way too quickly, in my opinion. The best derivation I've found online (and the one that finally helped me to understand it) is in http://www.quantumfieldtheory.info/website_Chap03.pdf, around page 70.

thanks

What is a contour integral trick with propagators?

A contour integral trick with propagators is a mathematical technique used in theoretical physics to evaluate complex integrals involving propagators, which are mathematical functions that represent the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one point to another in a quantum field theory.

How does the contour integral trick with propagators work?

The trick involves deforming the original integration contour into a new contour that avoids singularities and simplifies the integrand, making it possible to evaluate the integral using Cauchy's integral theorem. This technique is commonly used in the calculation of scattering amplitudes in quantum field theory.

What are the benefits of using the contour integral trick with propagators?

The contour integral trick allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also provides a systematic approach to solving problems in theoretical physics, making calculations more efficient and accurate.

What are some examples of problems that can be solved using the contour integral trick with propagators?

The contour integral trick is commonly used in quantum field theory to solve problems related to scattering amplitudes, Feynman diagrams, and Green's functions. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.

Are there any limitations to using the contour integral trick with propagators?

While the contour integral trick is a powerful tool, it may not always be applicable in all situations. In some cases, the integrand may not have a suitable contour to deform, or the resulting integral may still be difficult to evaluate. In these cases, other methods may need to be used.