Contra-variant and Co-variant vectors

• Thread starter exmarine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of contravariant and covariant vectors in a 2D Cartesian system with different units along the x and y axes. It is explained that a contravariant vector has different components in the primed and unprimed coordinate systems, while a covariant vector has the same components in both systems. An example of a covariant vector is given, and it is mentioned that covectors are used in calculating gradients. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to explore the metric tensor and the tensor coordinate transformation rule for a deeper understanding of contravariant and covariant vectors.
exmarine
This should be a simple question for you guys. I am trying to construct trivial examples of contra-variant and co-variant vectors. Suppose I have a 2D Cartesian system with equal units out the x and y axes, and a vector A with components (2,1). Suppose my prime 2D Cartesian system is parallel, but the units along the x’ axis are twice as long as those in the un-primed (and y’) axes. I think my A’ vector has components (1,1). Is that correct? Is that then a contra-variant vector? What is an example of a co-variant vector?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
exmarine said:
the units along the x’ axis are twice as long as those in the un-primed (and y’) axes.
If the units are twice as long, then the value of the x' coordinate is half as great: x' = x/2. Then

∂x'/∂x = 1/2 and ∂x/∂x' = 2

If the vector A is contravariant, then Ax' = ∂x'/∂x Ax = 1

If the vector A is covariant, then Ax' = ∂x/∂x' Ax = 4

Ok thanks.

Then follow-on question: What could a covariant vector ever be used for? What could it represent? (I am reading GRT textbooks, so I'll eventually run into it I guess.)

bv
exmarine said:
Then follow-on question: What could a covariant vector ever be used for? What could it represent? (I am reading GRT textbooks, so I'll eventually run into it I guess.)

Trivial example:

If you transform from a coordinate system in which distance is measured in meters to one in which it is is measured in kilometers (##x'=\frac{x}{1000}##) the ##x## coordinate of a contravariant upper-index vector such as velocity will be smaller by a factor of 1000; If an object's velocity was 1000 m/sec in the old coordinate system it will be 1 km/sec in the new one.

A covariant quantity would be something like altitude change per meter, which transforms the other way. If the altitude changes by 1 cm per meter of horizontal distance you cover, it will change by 1000 cm per kilometer after the transformation. From this, you might correctly conclude that the gradient is a example of a useful covector.

It's worth the exercise of writing down the metric tensor for two-dimensional cartesian space (it's just the 2x2 identity matrix) and then applying the tensor coordinate transformation rule for this trivial coordinate transform, just to see how ##g_{ij}## differs from ##g^{ij}## after the transform.

What is the difference between contra-variant and co-variant vectors?

Contra-variant and co-variant vectors are two types of vectors used in multivariate calculus. The main difference between them is how they transform under a change of coordinates. Contra-variant vectors change their components according to the inverse of the transformation, while co-variant vectors change their components according to the transformation itself.

Why are contra-variant and co-variant vectors important in physics?

In physics, we deal with various coordinate systems to describe the physical world. Contra-variant and co-variant vectors allow us to properly transform physical quantities between these coordinate systems. This is important for understanding physical laws and making accurate predictions.

How do I know if a vector is contra-variant or co-variant?

The type of a vector is determined by the way its components transform under a change of coordinates. If the components change according to the inverse of the transformation, the vector is contra-variant. If the components change according to the transformation itself, the vector is co-variant.

Can a vector be both contra-variant and co-variant?

No, a vector can only be either contra-variant or co-variant. This is because the transformation properties of a vector are dependent on its type, and a vector cannot transform both ways at the same time.

How are contra-variant and co-variant vectors used in machine learning?

In machine learning, contra-variant and co-variant vectors are used to represent data points and the parameters of a model. The type of vector affects how these parameters are updated during the learning process, which can have a significant impact on the performance of the model.