Control of US ports: Bush selling out on US security?

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_national/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19860_4475139,00.html

This is simply beyond belief!!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You know, even if these senators are right, they sound awfully racist in now trying to block acquisition by foreign companies, considering the ports before were under the control of a British company and they didn't seem to care then.

4. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, whatever the past, this is clearly a matter of national security today. In fact securing our ports is one of the biggest and most difficult problems that we face. And we want to hand over control to a foreign entity?

5. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It just caught my eye. How can we be handing over control to a foreign entity when they were already under the control of a foreign entity? It's not like national security just now became a concern. The only difference now is that an anglo-saxon entity is selling to an arabic entity, and the senate doesn't trust arabs.

Anyway, that's certainly the way it looks.

6. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You seem to be worried about the past. The issue is national security today. Should we throw out all other post-911 considerations as well?

http://www.house.gov/shays/news/2006/february/febports.htm

And I think this should absolutely be done by a US owned and based company.

7. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would like to know how Bush is acting in our best interest here; how is this a good idea wrt our national security? And since this is clearly not in our best interest, whose interests are his priorety?

8. edward

edward 1,005
    Gold Member

The same UAE company, Dubai Ports World, is taking over South Koreas newest and largest port.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Display...business_January272.xml&section=business&col=

I think The Bush administration is in favor of this because UAE holds billions of dollars worth of T bills. Plus Bush seems to have a great hand holding kinship with wealthy Arabs.

Dick Cheney is most likely the real point man here.

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/26660

edit:
    And last year the same company bought American owned CSX World Terminals.

What the Hell is going on? Islamics will now own the worlds largest dirty bomb delivery network.

And we can't forget this:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108074.html

9. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, it looks like a politician blustering over nothing to me.
    How is it a matter of national security? How is it not in our best interes. Heck, how is it even a chang from previous policy? It isn't like the Coast Guard is being disbanded. The Coast Guard still has primary responsibility for port security now, previously when the operations were under British corporate control, and still will later if the UAE takes over. The analogy made by the senator about turning over border control or customs is not correct. In fact, it's not really an analogy, since customs is one of the relevant agencies for securing our ports and it isn't(wasn't) being turned over to foreign control.

This isn't like the Panama Canal where the land itself used to be ours and when our lease was up it went to someone else. These companies are just running the day-to-day operations and they still have considerable government oversight.

10. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

But the ports were all British-owned post 9/11, which is really my point. This isn't about the past; it's about the present. In fact, until the sale is complete, the ports are still under British control. I just can't see the reason for concern arising now and not at some previous time unless the concern is solely over the new owners being Arabs.

I understand your concern, but why voice it now when the ports have been under foreign control for a long time? Something tells me the senators do not honestly believe that a multinational based in the UAE is more likely to sell secrets to terrorists on how to bypass security and customs (if the company that owns the ports even has such secrets, which I also doubt) than a multinational based in the UK. They're just trying to get headlines and playing off of national anti-Arab xenophobia in the wake of a terrorist attack carried out by Arabs. I would even be willing to bet that some of these were the same people crying out over not approving the sale of Unocal to the chinese company.

11. edward

edward 1,005
    Gold Member

I can't believe the total lack of knowledge of national security that I see in the last several posts.

Do you remember the words in the final sentence of the 911 commission??

As best as I can rememer it was:

"The final result is that it was a lack of imagination."

Nothing has changed.

12. russ_watters

Show us some imagination then, edward - just saying we're wrong is not an argument.

13. edward

edward 1,005
    Gold Member

You only have to read the links. They now own both ends of shipping control. The especially dangerous area is shipping from southeast asia to the USA. If you can not see a potential danger there you are not really looking.

You mentioned the Coast Guard:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/25/60minutes/main565180.shtml

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  14. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

How does who owns the ports make any difference to what's in the containers? The companies that are importing and exporting goods have not changed either location or ownership, and the people who do whatever inspecting goes on will not change, either. We're reading the same things you are, and all I see is guilt by assocation. People in the UAE were involved in 9/11, and this multinational is based in the UAE. Should we have stopped Chicago from being the nation's center of meatpacking because it was also the center of Al Capone's operations?

If you can show me how an ownership change for the ports will also result in a change in what is being shipped, where it's being shipped from, or how security is handled, then I'll follow your concerns. As of right now, all I've seen is innuendo. Even if you're trying to implicate the UAE government as being complicit in Al Qaeda attacks, is this multinational state-owned or controlled?

15. russ_watters

Or maybe you're seeing something that isn't there. If there is something there, tell me what it is!

16. SOS2008

SOS2008 1,553
    Gold Member

http://www.cfr.org/publication/9901/uae_port_purchase_raises_fears.html

So it's not just an issue of Homeland Security, but national security in general regarding U.S. independence from foreign control of infrastructure vital to our country. It's bad enough we depend on other countries for oil, stability of our currency, and national debt. Terrorism is the least of my worries in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2006
  17. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,535
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well this won't stand and it will be obvious to most of us why: This is inherently a ludicrous idea and Bush will rightly look a bit like a traitor to most people.

This is an issue of access and control - access and control create opportunity. It is really very simple.

One really starts to wonder who is on what side here: Spy on US citizens without oversight for reasons of national security, but hand over the ports to foreign agencies; and to a company from a nation with a dubious record on terror, no less.

18. russ_watters

Ivan, none of that is an argument for why you think this idea is "inherently ludicrous". Just saying it is is not an argument.

19. russ_watters

Don't make that erroneous assumption (and personal attack). Where do you think I got the quote I posted from the article if I didn't read the article?
    That's fine, but that is not what the Senator was talking about.

20. SOS2008

SOS2008 1,553
    Gold Member

It was a general comment about behavior in many threads.
    The Senator and what he said is only part of the issue. I don't see why that is all that should be considered if there are additional important ramifications involved.

21. edward

edward 1,005
    Gold Member

What is being shipped dosen't matter until the possiblity of a little something extra being put aboard the ship enters the picture.

Under current law the foreign companies can employ security workers from anywhere and no U.S. citizenship or background check is required. I wasn't worried much about the British security at the British owned ports in the USA.
    But with the possiblility of Islamic security personnel working the U.S. ports, especially since they will now be working on both ends of the supply system, yea I have a big problem with that.

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/256503.html

I post the above link in lieu of tracking down the location of the exact law.
    I presume what I stated about the law is correct, otherwise the congressman would not be wanting such a requirement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?