Control rods nuclear reaction equation, moles liberated, pressure

In summary: No. The neutrons that get absorbed by the boron nucleus do not necessarily end up in the alpha particle. They could end up in the lithium nucleus.According to the reaction equation, how may alpha particles are produced for each neutron that gets absorbed.One.
moenste

Homework Statement

A control rod to limit the rate at which a nuclear reactor is working is made from boron which is sealed in a casing. A boron atom (105B) is able to capture a neutron; an atom of lithium (Li) and an alpha particle being produced in the process. As a result helium gas is produced which occupies the spaces between the atoms in the rods which may be assumed to have a crystalline structure.

Each cubic metre of the control rod can absorb 1.5 * 1027 neutrons before it must be replaced.

(a) Write down an equation for the nuclear reaction which takes place in the control rods.

(b) How many moles of helium are liberated in each cubic metre of control rod?

(c) The boron atoms themselves occupy 75 % of the total volume occupied by the rods. Calculate the pressure inside the casing, at a temperature of 300 K, just before the rod is replaced.

(Molar gas constant R = 8.3 J mol-1 K-1, Avogadro constant NA = 6.0 * 1023 mol-1.)

Answers: (b) 2.5 * 103 mol, (c) 2.5 * 107 Pa.

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) 105B + 10n → 63Li + 42α + 42He. Is it correct?

(b) No idea where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:
(a) 105B + 10n → 63Li + 42α + 42He. Is it correct?
Is electric charge conserved in your equation?
Are the total number of nucleons conserved in your equation?

How is an alpha particle related to a Helium nucleus?

Likes moenste
TSny said:
Is electric charge conserved in your equation?
Are the total number of nucleons conserved in your equation?

How is an alpha particle related to a Helium nucleus?
It should be like this then: 105B + 10n → 63Li + 42α.

moenste said:
It should be like this then: 105B + 10n → 63Li + 42α.
That's close. But the number of nucleons on the left doesn't match the number of nucleons on the right.

Likes moenste
TSny said:
That's close. But the number of nucleons on the left doesn't match the number of nucleons on the right.
105B + 10n → 63Li + 42α + 10He? We have helium included, as in the problem statement.

moenste said:
105B + 10n → 63Li + 42α + 10He? We have helium included, as in the problem statement.
What do the 1 and 0 stand for in the symbol 10He?

Also, think about what an alpha particle is made of.

Does the lithium isotope have to be 63Li? Could it be a different isotope of lithium?

Likes moenste
TSny said:
What do the 1 and 0 stand for in the symbol 10He?
1 is nucleon number and 0 is proton number.

Also, think about what an alpha particle is made of.
2 electrons and 2 protons and 4 - 2 neutrons.

Does the lithium isotope have to be 63Li? Could it be a different isotope of lithium?
Why shouldn't it be? When an alpha-particle is added, 4 and 2 should be subtracted.

moenste said:
1 is nucleon number and 0 is proton number.
Does a Helium nucleus have 0 protons?

2 electrons and 2 protons and 4 - 2 neutrons.
An alpha particle does not have any electrons.

Can you fill in the blanks in the folowing?
(a) An alpha particle has __________ protons.
(b) An alpha particle has __________ neutrons.
(c) A helium nucleus has _________ protons.
(d) A helium nucleus has _________ neutrons.

Last edited:
Likes moenste
TSny said:
Does a Helium nucleus have 0 protons?
I'm not sure what "Helium nucleus" means...

The element from the periodic table is 42He, where 4 is the nucleon number = protons + neutrons and 2 is the proton number = electrons. So He from the periodic table has 2 protons and electrons and 4 - 2 = 2 neutrons.

TSny said:
Can you fill in the blanks in the folowing?
(a) An alpha particle has __________ protons.
(b) An alpha particle has __________ neutrons.
(c) A helium nucleus has _________ protons.
(d) A helium nucleus has _________ neutrons.
(a) 2 protons.
(b) 4 - 2 = 2 neutrons.
(c, d) What is a helium nucleus?

---

Maybe the equation is like this: 105B + 10n → ??Li + 42α + 42He. We have 11 as the nucleon number and 5 as the proton number on the left with 8 as the nucleon number and 4 as the proton number respectively. So we are lacking 3 and 1. So: 105B + 10n → 31Li + 42α + 42He.

moenste said:
I'm not sure what "Helium nucleus" means...
The nucleus of a helium atom.
moenste said:
So He from the periodic table has 2 protons and electrons and 4 - 2 = 2 neutrons.
A neutral helium atom has 2 electrons, 2 protons and 2 neutrons, right. Which particles are in the nucleus, which particles are not?

Likes moenste
mfb said:
A neutral helium atom has 2 electrons, 2 protons and 2 neutrons, right. Which particles are in the nucleus, which particles are not?
Nucleus has neutrons and protons, while electrons are flying around the nucleus.

The purpose of asking you how many protons and neutrons are in an alpha particle and in a ##_2^4##He nucleus was to have you compare the alpha particle and the nucleus of the ##_2^4##He atom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle

Likes moenste
TSny said:
The purpose of asking you how many protons and neutrons are in an alpha particle and in a ##_2^4##He nucleus was to have you compare the alpha particle and the nucleus of the ##_2^4##He atom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle
Hm, it says that they are identical.

105B + 10n → 73Li + 42He?

moenste said:
Hm, it says that they are identical.

105B + 10n → 73Li + 42He?
Yes. That's good.

Likes moenste
TSny said:
Yes. That's good.
Great!

How to approach (b)?
moenste said:
(b) How many moles of helium are liberated in each cubic metre of control rod?
I know that in 42He -- 4 g of He have 6 * 1023 atoms (NA number). But how to find moles I'm not sure.

moenste said:
I know that in 42He -- 4 g of He have 6 * 1023 atoms (NA number). But how to find moles I'm not sure.
How many alpha particles will be produced in 1 m3 of the control rod material before the rod must be replaced?

Likes moenste
TSny said:
How many alpha particles will be produced in 1 m3 of the control rod material before the rod must be replaced?
moenste said:
Each cubic metre of the control rod can absorb 1.5 * 1027 neutrons before it must be replaced.
1 m3 can absorb 1.5 * 1027 neutrons and an α-particle has 4 - 2 = 2 neutrons.

1.5 * 1027 / 2 = 7.5 * 1026 α-particles.

moenste said:
1 m3 can absorb 1.5 * 1027 neutrons and an α-particle has 4 - 2 = 2 neutrons.

1.5 * 1027 / 2 = 7.5 * 1026 α-particles.
No. The neutrons that get absorbed by the boron nucleus do not necessarily end up in the alpha particle. They could end up in the lithium nucleus.

According to the reaction equation, how may alpha particles are produced for each neutron that gets absorbed.

Likes moenste
TSny said:
No. The neutrons that get absorbed by the boron nucleus do not necessarily end up in the alpha particle. They could end up in the lithium nucleus.

According to the reaction equation, how may alpha particles are produced for each neutron that gets absorbed.
One alpha particle is produced for each neutron?

moenste said:
One alpha particle is produced for each neutron?
Right.

Likes moenste
TSny said:
Right.
So 1.5 * 1027 α-particles are produced in 1 m3?

moenste said:
Yes.

Likes moenste
TSny said:
Yes.
How many moles does an alpha particle have?

In that case multiply that number by 1.5 * 1027, the total number of alpha particles in 1 m3, and that will be the answer.

moenste said:
How many moles does an alpha particle have?
A better question would be how many alpha particles does a mole of alpha particles have?

Likes moenste
TSny said:
A better question would be how many alpha particles does a mole of alpha particles have?
1 mol = number of atoms in 4 g of 42He.

So since we have 1.5 * 1027 He, therefore we have 1.5 * 1027 moles.

moenste said:
1 mol = number of atoms in 4 g of 42He.
Yes. But this is not helpful for this problem.

So since we have 1.5 * 1027 He, therefore we have 1.5 * 1027 moles.
No. I don't see how you came to that conclusion. A mole of particles has a specific number of particles. The number of carbon atoms in a mole of carbon is the same as the number of helium atoms in a mole of helium. What is the value of this number?

Likes moenste
TSny said:
Yes. But this is not helpful for this problem.

No. I don't see how you came to that conclusion. A mole of particles has a specific number of particles. The number of carbon atoms in a mole of carbon is the same as the number of helium atoms in a mole of helium. What is the value of this number?
I think you are talking about the NA.

1 mol = NA He-4.

Since we have 1.5 * 1027 He-4, so the total number of atoms is 1.5 * 1027 * NA. Now we need to put the number from atoms into moles, where 1 mol is NA. So divide the number by NA and get 1.5 * 1027 number of atoms.

moenste said:
I think you are talking about the NA.

1 mol = NA He-4.
Yes, 1 mole of He-4 contains NA atoms of He-4.

Since we have 1.5 * 1027 He-4, so the total number of atoms is 1.5 * 1027 * NA.
Doesn't the phrase "Since we have 1.5 * 1027 He-4" mean that we have 1.5 * 1027 atoms of He-4?
Why change this number to 1.5 * 1027 * NA?

Now we need to put the number from atoms into moles, where 1 mol is NA. So divide the number by NA and get 1.5 * 1027 number of atoms.
Did you mean the last word to be "moles" rather than "atoms"? If so, you have the right method for converting number of atoms to moles. You just need to start with the right number of He-4 atoms.

Likes moenste
TSny said:
Yes, 1 mole of He-4 contains NA atoms of He-4.Doesn't the phrase "Since we have 1.5 * 1027 He-4" mean that we have 1.5 * 1027 atoms of He-4?
Why change this number to 1.5 * 1027 * NA?

Did you mean the last word to be "moles" rather than "atoms"? If so, you have the right method for converting number of atoms to moles. You just need to start with the right number of He-4 atoms.
One mole of He-4 has NA number of atoms (one rock weights 2 kg).

But since we want to know the total number of atoms (total weight of rocks), we need to multiply this number by the number of He-4 particles (number of rocks). We have 1.5 * 1027 He-4 particles * 6 * 1023 = 9 * 1050 atoms (we have 25 rocks, each weights 2 kg, total weight 25 * 2 = 50 kg).

Then we want to know the number of moles of helium that are liberated in each cubic metre of control rod. Since we know 1 mole = NA, we then divide the 9 * 1050 by 6 * 1023 and get 1.5 * 1027 moles.

Update
(b) 1 m3 has 1.5 * 1027 atoms of helium. Number of moles liberated = 1.5 * 1027 / 6 * 1023 = 2500 moles. I do get the answer, but I don't get the solution. I stated my reasoning above.

(c) p = n R T / V = 2500 * 8.3 * 300 / 0.25 = 24 900 000 Pa or 2.5 * 107 Pa. I get the correct answer but I don't understand: (i) what is casing?, (ii) if boron atoms occupy 75 %, we also need to know the percentage for the neutron and Li, in order to use the 2500 moles solely of helium.

If you could please explain the theory part on the (b) and (c) parts which I don't understand above, I would appreciate it very much.

Last edited:
moenste said:
One He-4 has NA number of atoms (one rock weights 2 kg).
This is ambiguous. One mole of He-4 has NA atoms.

But since we want to know the total number of atoms (total weight of rocks), we need to multiply this number by the number of He-4 particles (number of rocks).
I don't follow this, especially the "rocks".

We have 1.5 * 1027 He-4 particles * 6 * 1023 = 9 * 1050 atoms (we have 25 rocks, each weights 2 kg, total weight 25 * 2 = 50 kg).
1050 atoms is about the number of atoms in the entire earth.

You correctly stated previously that each neutron that gets absorbed results in the creation of one alpha particle. The alpha particle is the same as a nucleus of He-4. The alpha particle quickly "captures" two electrons to make a neutral He-4 atom. So, for each neutron that gets absorbed, you get one He-4 atom.

So, how many He-atoms are produced in each m3 of the control rod by the time the rod needs to be replaced?

I don't understand: (i) what is casing?, (ii) if boron atoms occupy 75 %, we also need to know the percentage for the neutron and Li, in order to use the 2500 moles solely of helium.
The neutron gets absorbed, so it does not exist as a separate particle after the reaction. The question apparently wants you to assume that the He-4 atoms that are produced form a gas that occupies the space between the boron atoms. You can apparently neglect the Li that is produced.

Likes moenste
TSny said:
So, how many He-atoms are produced in each m3 of the control rod by the time the rod needs to be replaced?
Yes.
So we have 1.5 * 1027 number of He-4 in 1 m3. Millions of millions He-4 are in 1 m3.

Each He-4 has NA atoms.

Since we have 1.5 * 1027 He-4, their total number of atoms in 1 m3 is 1.5 * 1027 * 6 * 1023.

1 mole = NA

1.5 * 1027 * 6 * 1023 / NA = 1.5 * 1027 atoms in 1 m3.

moenste said:
So we have 1.5 * 1027 number of He-4 in 1 m3. Millions of millions He-4 are in 1 m3.
When you say we have 1.5 * 1027 number of He-4 , do you mean we have 1.5 * 1027 number of He-4 atoms? If not, what do you mean by 1.5 * 1027 number of He-4?

Likes moenste
TSny said:
When you say we have 1.5 * 1027 number of He-4 , do you mean we have 1.5 * 1027 number of He-4 atoms? If not, what do you mean by 1.5 * 1027 number of He-4?
Nevermind, 1 m3 has 1.5 * 1027 atoms so the number of moles is 1.5 * 1027 / NA = 2500 moles.

Thank you!

moenste said:
Nevermind, 1 m3 has 1.5 * 1027 atoms so the number of moles is 1.5 * 1027 / NA = 2500 moles.
OK

Likes moenste
TSny said:
OK
Sorry if that sounded rude.

I probably misunderstood you in post # 21. I thought that 1.5 * 1027 is number of alpha / helium particles in 1 m3.

But I guess by particles you understood atoms, so that's why the confusion was created.