Convergence for a series: what is wrong with my method?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the formulas for the sequence an, Sn, and Rn for a given series and finding the limits of the sequences as n approaches infinity. The attempt at a solution provides an incorrect formula for an and for Sn, and does not show any argument for the limit of an. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the problem and what Rn would be.
JJHK
Convergence for a series: what is wrong with my method??

Homework Statement

For the following series, write formulas for the sequence an, Sn, and Rn, and find the limits of the sequences as n→∞.

Homework Equations

Sn is the partial sum of the series.

Rn is the remainder and is given by
Rn = S - Sn,
where
lim(n→∞) Sn = S

The Attempt at a Solution

an is pretty straightforward...

an = Ʃ(1→∞) (-1)n+1 (2n+1)n / [ (n) (n+1) ]

and as n→∞, an → 0

For Sn, I am getting:

Sn = 3 / (1x2) - 5 / (2x3) + 7 / (3x4) - 9 /(4x5) + ...

= 3 (1/1 - 1/2) - 5 (1/2 - 1/3) + 7(1/3 - 1/4) - 9 (1/4 - 1/5) + ...

= 3 - 1/2 (3+5) + 1/3 (5+7) - 1/4 (7+9) + ...

= 3 - 8/2 + 12/3 -16/4 + ...

= 3 - 4 + 4 - 4 + ...

= 3 + Ʃ(1→∞) (-1)nx4

so as n→∞, does Sn approach 3 or -1, or neither?

Also, what would Rn be?

thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org

JJHK said:

Homework Statement

For the following series, write formulas for the sequence an, Sn, and Rn, and find the limits of the sequences as n→∞.

Homework Equations

Sn is the partial sum of the series.

Rn is the remainder and is given by
Rn = S - Sn,
where
lim(n→∞) Sn = S

The Attempt at a Solution

an is pretty straightforward...

an = Ʃ(1→∞) (-1)n+1 (2n+1)n / [ (n) (n+1) ]

That is not ##a_n##. What you have on the right is ##S##, assuming the series converges.
and as n→∞, an → 0

##a_n## is the nth term of the series$$
a_n=\frac{-1^n(2n+1)^n}{n(n+1)}$$Unless you have mistyped the problem, I don't think you will find ##a_n\rightarrow 0##. In any case you haven't shown any argument.
For Sn, I am getting:

Sn = 3 / (1x2) - 5 / (2x3) + 7 / (3x4) - 9 /(4x5) + ...

= 3 (1/1 - 1/2) - 5 (1/2 - 1/3) + 7(1/3 - 1/4) - 9 (1/4 - 1/5) + ...

= 3 - 1/2 (3+5) + 1/3 (5+7) - 1/4 (7+9) + ...

= 3 - 8/2 + 12/3 -16/4 + ...

= 3 - 4 + 4 - 4 + ...

= 3 + Ʃ(1→∞) (-1)nx4

so as n→∞, does Sn approach 3 or -1, or neither?

Also, what would Rn be?

thank you so much!

##S_n## is the sum of the first ##n## terms. The expression for ##S_n## would never end with a "...". You can't calculate ##S## or ##R_n=S-S_n## unless the series converges. Go back to the beginning and make sure you copied the problem correctly and start by proving whether or not ##a_n\rightarrow 0##.

1. What is convergence and why is it important for a series?

Convergence refers to the behavior of a series where the terms get closer and closer to a finite limit as the number of terms increases. It is important because it determines whether a series will have a finite or infinite sum, and can help us understand the behavior and properties of the series.

2. How do I know if my method for determining convergence is correct?

The best way to determine the correctness of a method for convergence is to compare it with known convergence tests, such as the ratio test or the root test. If your method produces the same result, then it is likely correct. Additionally, checking for convergence at different points in the series can help confirm the accuracy of your method.

3. What are some common mistakes that can lead to incorrect convergence results?

One common mistake is using a convergence test that is not applicable to the series being evaluated. For example, using the ratio test for a series with alternating signs can produce incorrect results. Another mistake is not checking the conditions of a convergence test, such as the absolute convergence of a series before using the ratio or root test.

4. How can I improve my understanding of convergence for series?

To improve your understanding of convergence for series, it is important to practice solving different types of series using various convergence tests. Additionally, studying theorems and properties related to convergence, such as the Cauchy criterion or the comparison test, can help deepen your understanding.

5. What should I do if my series does not converge?

If your series does not converge, it is important to first check if it is a divergent series or if it is a conditionally convergent series, meaning it has a finite sum when the terms are rearranged in a specific way. If it is a divergent series, then there is no method that can make it converge. However, if it is conditionally convergent, you can try using a convergence test that is specific to this type of series, such as the alternating series test.