1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence in distribution

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    Given the definition:
    For real-valued random variables [tex]X_n[/tex], [tex]n\geq1[/tex] and X, then [tex]X_n\stackrel{D}{\rightarrow}X[/tex] if for every bounded continuous function g: [tex]R \rightarrow R[/tex], [tex]E_n[/tex][g([tex]X_n[/tex])][tex]\rightarrow E[/tex][g(X)]

I want to prove the continuous mapping theorem:
    If [tex]X_n\stackrel{D}{\rightarrow}X[/tex] then [tex]h(X_n)\stackrel{D}{\rightarrow}h(X)[/tex] for any continuous function h: [tex]R \rightarrow R[/tex]
    without using Skorokhod's representation theorem.

The theorem makes sense to me intuitively but I'm lost as to how to prove it mathematically.

Edit: apologies for the really bad latex, my browser keeps hanging on the preview/save

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2
    If anyone was interested:

Say [tex]h(Y_n) = Z_n, h(Y) = Z[/tex]

[tex]E(g(Z_n)) \rightarrow E(g(Z))[/tex] for every g that is bounded and continuous (from definition)

[tex]E(f(Y_n)) \rightarrow E(f(Y))[/tex] for every f that is bounded and continuous (from definition)

[tex]E(g(h(Y_n)) \rightarrow E(g(h(Y))[/tex] is true because h is continuous and g o h is also continuous, h is also bounded by g

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?