1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a functional series (analysis)

1. Dec 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether the following functional series is pointwise and/or uniformly convergent:

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x}{n} (x\in\mathbb{R})[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My answer to this seems very straightforward and I would be very grateful if someone could let me know if the method is correct. We can re-write the series as:

[itex]x \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}[/itex]

We know the harmonic series (of numbers) [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n}[/itex] is divergent, so therefore the series cannot be pointwise or uniformly convergent.

Is this correct? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

You could also use the p-series test to arrive at the same conclusion.

4. Dec 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I just noticed something: if x=0, then the series is just zero, so it converges. Given that the series isn't convergent for *all* values of x in the domain, is it still correct to say the functional series is divergent? I suppose it's a question of terminology. Thanks for the help.

5. Dec 16, 2012 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

It's pointwise convergent at points where it converges, and pointwise divergent where it doesn't converge.

6. Dec 16, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

Based on your question, i would say that the correct answer is: point-wise convergent at x = 0. (which would imply that at any other values of x, the series is divergent)

7. Dec 17, 2012 #6
    Ok, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook