1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a particular infinite sum

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]b_n[/itex] be a bounded sequence of nonnegative numbers. Let r be a number such that [itex]0 \leq r < 1[/itex].
    Define [itex]s_n = b_1*r + b_2*r^2 + ... + b_n*r^n[/itex], for all natural numbers n.
    Prove that [itex]{s_n}[/itex] converges.

2. Relevant equations
    Sum of first n terms of geometric series = [itex]sum_n = (a_1)(1-r^{n+1})/(1-r)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Clearly, [itex]{s_n}[/itex] is monotonically increasing.
    Since [itex]{b_n}[/itex] is bounded, [itex]|b_n| \leq M[/itex], for all natural numbers n.

I want to use the fact that if [itex]{s_n}[/itex] is both monotonically increasing and is bounded, then it must converge. The part of the problem that has stumped me for the past 45 minutes is how to show that [itex]{s_n}[/itex] is bounded.

The only material we've covered regarding infinite series thus far is for purely geometric series, which doesn't fit this problem precisely--but I included the formula anyway.

Help would be greatly appreciated! I have an exam on Monday and getting so completely stymied by a simple problem is not doing wonders for my confidence.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sn=b1*r+b2*r^2+...bn*r^n<=M*r+M*r^2+...+M*r^n, right? That's just a hint. Does it help?

4. Sep 10, 2011 #3
    Aghhhh, so simple! Something about the way I do proofs is just <i>wrong</i>, I always get caught in roadblocks of thinking and miss simple detours like that.

[itex]s_n \leq M*r + M*r^2 + ... + M*r^n[/itex]
    Then [itex]s_n \leq M(r-r^{n+1})/(1-r)[/itex]
    Then [itex]s_n \leq Mr/(1-r) = M'[/itex]
    Then [itex]|s_n| \leq M'[/itex] for all natural numbers n, so [itex]s_n[/itex] is bounded.
    Thus, since [itex]s_n[/itex] is bounded and monotonically increasing, we have [itex]s_n[/itex] converges.

Or, I think that's right, anyway.

Thanks a bunch!

5. Sep 10, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's exactly right. Good take on the hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook