Convergence of a series with tests

The "partial sums" are ##S_n = \sum_{k=0}^n a_k##, and the partial sums are what you get when you add up the first ##n## terms. In other words, ##S_n = a_0 + a_1 + ... + a_n##. The numbers ##a_n## are called the "terms" and the numbers ##S_n## are called the "partial sums". Of course if we start with ##n=1##, then the general term is ##a_{n-1}## and the partial sums are ##S_n = a_0 + a_1 + ... + a_{n-1}##.
trap101
Determine whether the series converges or diverges:

[itex]\sum[/itex] ln k/ k3

now I said that this series converges by the comparison test, using ln k / k since I know that goes to 0

Would that be the right logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the series, k tends towards what value? Your question is missing that information.

oh, sorry. k is tending towards ∞

trap101 said:
Determine whether the series converges or diverges:

[itex]\sum[/itex] ln k/ k3

now I said that this series converges by the comparison test, using ln k / k since I know that goes to 0

Would that be the right logic?

You haven't written enough to tell. What comparison test are you using? What convergent series are you comparing it with?

LCKurtz said:
You haven't written enough to tell. What comparison test are you using? What convergent series are you comparing it with?

I was using a basic comparison test. And I was using ln k/ k as my convergent series. Unless ln k/ k is not a convergent series, but it is a convergent sequence though.

trap101 said:
I was using a basic comparison test. And I was using ln k/ k as my convergent series. Unless ln k/ k is not a convergent series, but it is a convergent sequence though.

Maybe you confuse sequences and series. What makes you think$$
\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac {\ln k}{k}$$is a convergent series? Just because the kth term ##\frac {\ln k} k\rightarrow 0## doesn't mean the series converges.

LCKurtz said:
Maybe you confuse sequences and series. What makes you think$$
\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac {\ln k}{k}$$is a convergent series? Just because the kth term ##\frac {\ln k} k\rightarrow 0## doesn't mean the series converges.

Actually I've been trying to straighten out that confusion, but your right I do mix them up sometimes. Ok, well by a comparison test with 1/k, that would mean $$
\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac {\ln k}{k}$$ is a divergent series

but then that doesn't help me here because $$
\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac {\ln k}{k}$$

is larger than
$$
\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac {\ln k}{k^3}$$

perhaps a limit comparison with

$$
\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac {\ln k}{k}$$ would work?

Use that ln(k)≤k for large k.

micromass said:
Use that ln(k)≤k for large k.

Yes, then that simplifies to 1/k2 which converges based off of p-series.

Thanks

On another note...what's a good way to stop confusing sequences, partial sums, and series?

trap101 said:
On another note...what's a good way to stop confusing sequences, partial sums, and series?

Concentration.

micromass said:
Concentration.

:biggrin:

I have another quick question about the basic convergence test:

If lim an as n-->∞ ≠ 0 then Ʃ an will diverge.

is the an that is being talked about at the beginning of the theorem the "sequence" an or is it the values of the partial sum of all an that they are talking about?

trap101 said:
I have another quick question about the basic convergence test:If lim an as n-->∞ ≠ 0 then Ʃ an will diverge.
is the an that is being talked about at the beginning of the theorem the "sequence" an or is it the values of the partial sum of all an that they are talking about?

The a[itex]_{n}[/itex] you are referring to is a sequence of terms. The k-th partial sum of [itex]\sum[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex] is defined S[itex]_{k}[/itex]=a[itex]_{0}[/itex]+a[itex]_{1}[/itex]+a[itex]_{2}[/itex]+...+a[itex]_{k}[/itex]. I hope this clears up some of the confusion you've been having regarding series, sequences, and partial sums.

trap101 said:
I have another quick question about the basic convergence test:If lim an as n-->∞ ≠ 0 then Ʃ an will diverge.

##a_n## is the nth term of the series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n##. Of course if the series starts with ##n=0## it isn't exactly the nth term any more, it's the "general term", but it is still a good way to keep things straight.

1. What is the convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to whether or not the infinite sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. If the sum approaches a finite value, the series is said to converge. If the sum does not approach a finite value, the series is said to diverge.

2. What are some common tests used to determine the convergence of a series?

Some common tests used to determine the convergence of a series include the comparison test, the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series to determine its convergence.

3. How do you use the comparison test to determine the convergence of a series?

The comparison test states that if a series with positive terms can be shown to be smaller than a known convergent series, then it is also convergent. Similarly, if it can be shown to be larger than a known divergent series, then it is also divergent. This test is useful for determining the convergence of series with complicated terms.

4. What is the significance of the ratio and root tests in determining the convergence of a series?

The ratio and root tests are both based on the idea that if the ratio or root of a series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases, then the series is convergent. These tests are particularly useful for determining the convergence of series with terms that involve powers or factorials.

5. Why is it important to determine the convergence of a series?

Determining the convergence of a series is important because it allows us to determine whether the infinite sum of its terms approaches a finite value, which can have practical applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. Additionally, knowing the convergence of a series can help us understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values.