1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of infinite sequences

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V consist of all infinite sequences {xn} of real numbers for which the series summation xn2 converges. If x = {xn} and y = {yn} are two elements of V, define (x,y) = summation (n=1 to infinity) xnyn.
    Prove that this series converges absolutely.

2. Relevant equations
    The question includes a Hint: Use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to estimate the sum, summation (n=1 to M) lxnynl.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the definition of convergence and ineqaulities I have shown that since xn converges, we have the inequality, summation(xn) < summation (xn2) < infinity. Therefore, {xn} converges but I do not know how to use the hint to extend this to the inner product.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

So what is the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality? Your aim is probably to show that [itex]\sum |x_n y_n| \leq \left(\sum x_n^2\right)^{1/2}\left(\sum y_n^2\right)^{1/2}[/itex]. Why is that enough for you to conclude that [itex]\sum |x_ny_n|[/itex] converges?

This is false. If [itex]0 < x_n < 1[/itex] then [itex]x_n > x_n^2[/itex]; and in particular you should be aware that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 1/n[/itex] diverges, whereas [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 1/n^2 = \pi^2/6[/itex]. Even if it were true it wouldn't assist you.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  4. Oct 7, 2014 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

You could also note that for any choice of x and y in V, ## |x_n| |y_n| \leq \max( x_n^2, y_n^2 ), \, \forall n \in \mathbb{N} ##. This completely disregards your hint, but in my mind is pretty straightforward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted