Convergence of series and limits

In summary: Well, 1/2 is not canceled by any other term. And that is the first term. 1/2+ ... is an infinite geometric series with first term 1/2 and common ratio 1/2. That converges to [itex]a/(1-r)= 1/(1-1/2)= 1/(1/2)= 2[/itex]. So the sum of the entire series is 2.
Juggler123
For the following series sum(an) between n=2, n=infinity determine if the series converges and if so find the limit? Such that

an=1/(n(n^2-1))

I've expressed (an) in partial fractions so that

an=-1/n + 1/(2(n+1)) + 1/(2(n-1))

but can't seem to get any further than this?
Where should I go from here??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Juggler123.

Have you learned the Limit Comparison Test? This is the key to solving for convergence/divergence of this series.

Usually, we use partial fractions when we have reason to believe that the series will become a "telescoping series" (as you write the sequence of partial sums... you find "patterns" and these "patterns" cancel out).

Like I said, have a try with the Limit Comparison test... comparing the series you've stated with 1 / n^3

Juggler123 said:
For the following series sum(an) between n=2, n=infinity determine if the series converges and if so find the limit? Such that

an=1/(n(n^2-1))

I've expressed (an) in partial fractions so that

an=-1/n + 1/(2(n+1)) + 1/(2(n-1))

but can't seem to get any further than this?
Where should I go from here??
Looks to me like you might have a "telescoping series" there. Write out the first few terms using your partial fractions:
[itex]a_2+ a_ 3+ a_4+ ...]/itex]
1/2+ 1/6+ 1/12+ ...
(-1/2+ 1/6+ 1/2)+ (-1/3+ 1/8+ 1/4)+ (-1/4+ 1/10+ 1/6)

That's not terribly clear but in each term we have one negative number, -1/n, and two negative numbers, 1/(2(n+1)) and 1/(2(n-1)). Each -1/n will cancel both 1/(2(m+1)), for m= n-1, and 1/(2(m-1)) for m= n+1. For example, taking n= 3, -1/3 will cancel both 1/(2(2+1)= 1/6, and 1/(2(4-1))= 1/6: -1/3+ 1/6+ 1/6= 0. If n= 6, -1/5 will cancel both 1/(2(4+1))= 1/10 and 1/(2(6-1))= 1/10: -1/5+ 1/10+ 1/10= 0. The only question remaining is what numbers do NOT get canceled?

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series is when the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms in the series increases.

2. How is the limit of a sequence related to the convergence of a series?

The limit of a sequence is the value towards which the terms of the sequence converge. For a series to converge, the limit of its corresponding sequence of partial sums must exist.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the absolute value of each term converges, while conditional convergence refers to a series where the terms themselves converge, but not necessarily their absolute values. Absolute convergence guarantees convergence, while conditional convergence does not.

4. What is the comparison test for convergence of a series?

The comparison test states that if the terms of a series can be bounded above or below by the terms of a convergent series, then the original series also converges. Conversely, if the terms of a series are bounded above or below by the terms of a divergent series, then the original series also diverges.

5. How can the ratio and root tests be used to determine the convergence of a series?

The ratio test compares the absolute value of each term in a series to the previous term, and if the limit of this ratio is less than 1, the series converges. The root test compares the absolute value of each term to the nth root of n, and if the limit of this ratio is less than 1, the series converges. Both tests can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, with the root test being slightly more powerful.