Convergence of Series Involving Logarithms and Reciprocals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Log Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44

Homework Statement


Show that ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\log (1+1/n)}{n}## converges.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


If I take for granted the inequality ##\log (1+1/n) < 1/n##, I can easily show that this converges. My problem is is that I am not seeing how to prove convergence another way...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure why you want to do it another way. But in any case, the first question is: What is ##\log(.)##? Is it a limit, a series, the solution of a functional equation, an isomorphism, an integral, the solution of a differential equation, or just the solution to ##e^x=c\,?## So any approach depends on what you have. Which is it? And it might happen, that the first step will be to deduce some appropriate boundary and you'll end up at what you wanted to avoid.