1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of series (Theoretical Question)

1. Jun 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem:

Ive been all afternoon struggling with this doubt. Its a bit more teoric than the rest of the exercices i did and i just cant seem to get around it so here it goes :
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider ∑ 1/an a convergent serie of positive terms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What´s the nature of Σ (-1)^n/(an^(2) +1)

2. Relevant equations
    (Leibniz criterion) ? If ∑(-1)^(n)an is an alternated serie and the sucession(an) is decreasing and his limit→+00 an = 0 then i can say that ∑(-1)^(n)an is converging.

3. The attempt at a solution

My initial thought was:... a-ha! This is an alternate serie! Because of the (-1)^n ...

So if i prove that the serie 1/an is decreasing since i already know the lim an= 0 i can say that the serie:
    (Leibniz criterion)

Σ (-1)^n/(an) IS CONVERGENT however i have two problems...

1- I dont know how to prove that 1/an is decreasing.

2- The serie that they ask me to study is different and even if i could prove that 1/an is decreasing i dont know if through algebric manipulation i could get to:

Σ (-1)^n/(an^(2) +1)

Im not even sure if im going the right way. Anyone has any clue? This is bothering me so much!atement, all variables and given/known data

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Given that ##\sum \frac 1 {a_n}## is a convergent series with ##a_n > 0##, can you say something about the series ##\sum \frac 1 {a_n^2 + 1}##?
    Are the terms of this series larger, smaller, or the same as, term by term, of the series ##\sum \frac 1 {a_n}##?

4. Jun 20, 2016 #3
    The terms start in n= 1 and go up to +00

5. Jun 20, 2016 #4

Mark44

Fine. Did you read my post?

6. Jun 21, 2016 #5
    Oh sorry. yes i did, i notice that the terms are smaller. Are you saying that i can compare the serie
    Σ 1/(an^(2) +1) with (1/an) using the criterion of geral comparison?

If an≤bn for n ≥ f then:

(1) -Σbn is convergent → Σan is convergent

(2) -Σan is divergent → Σbn is divergent

At a first glance it doesnt seem that useful cause since the terms are smaller i get that Σ 1/(an^(2) +1) is (an) and that 1/an is (bn).

So i guess now i can say that Σ 1/(an^(2) +1) is convergent?

However that serie that im trying to prove doesnt have just positive terms, Σ (-1)^n/(an^(2) +1) also has negative terms so i cant apply criterion of comparison. So i have no clue...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. Jun 21, 2016 #6

Mark44

Yes.
    If you know that a series ##\sum b_n## converges, can you conclude anything about the alternating series ##\sum (-1)^nb_n##? I.e., does it
    a) converge,
    b) diverge, or
    c) is it impossible to determine?

8. Jun 21, 2016 #7
    I cant conclude nothing using the geral criterion of comparison cause it only applies to series with positive terms. The problem is that (-1)^n !!!

Im almost sure it converges but on the definition of this criterion it says it is explicitly for series with positive terms.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have this example in my head: Σ(1/n)

1/2,1/3,1/4,1/5 1/6...

If i join that (-1)^n it will be something like:

1/2,-1/3,1/4,-1/5 1/6... which also converges but using a example obviously in no valid explanation.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also noticed that 1/an looks like a dirichlet series however i cant also make that assumption! cause the "(an)" can be anything!!! If i could im almost sure i knew how to do it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    is it valid to do something like this?

1) Σ(-1)^n/(an^(2) +1) =( -1)^nΣ(1/(an^(2) +1)

2) since i know 1/an is a serie of positives terms larger than Σ(1/(an^(2) +1) and 1/an is convergent , Σ(1/(an^(2) +1) is also convergent.

3)Since Σ(1/(an^(2) +1) is convergent, ( -1)^nΣ(1/(an^(2) +1) also is (just cause? ).

9. Jun 21, 2016 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At the risk of gving too much away,

10. Jun 21, 2016 #9
    I know that if (bn) converges, (an) will also converge. So i know that Σ(1/(an^(2) +1) is convergent, However my problem is that the serie in question is Σ((-1)^n/(an^(2) +1) and since it has negative terms i cant apply that criterion. The same applies with bn. If i know bn is convergent what criterion should i use to consider bn(-1)^n also convergent?

What is on my mind is: If i know that a certain serie is convergent, the limit →+00 = 0 and it doesnt seem to change if just multiply it by (-1)^n

11. Jun 21, 2016 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forget everything except that there is a series with terms ##b_n##, and that the series ##\sum b_n## converges. What can you conclude?

12. Jun 21, 2016 #11
    I can conclude that bn limit →+00 = 0 and that an is convergent.

13. Jun 21, 2016 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go right back to basics. If ##b_n > 0## and ##S =\sum b_n## is convergent. By definition, this means that
    [tex] S(N) = \sum_{n=1}^N b_n [/tex]
    is a convergent sequence; that is, ##S = \lim_{N \to \infty} S(N) ## exists and is finite. Note that
    [tex] \sum_{n=1}^N b_n = \sum_{n \leq N \;\text{even}} b_n + \sum_{n \leq N \;\text{odd}} b_n . [/tex]

14. Jun 21, 2016 #13
    Ok! i think i got it. Can anyone just say if this sounds like a reasonable answer?

They ask me to study nature of ∑(-1)^n/(an^(2) + 1) knowing that 1/an is convergent.

Step 1- I know that ∑(1/(an^(2) + 1) < 1/an .

Step 2- Since all the terms of the series in Step 1 are positive i can conclude by the criterion of geral comparison that since 1/an is convergent ∑(1/(an^(2) + 1) is also convergent.

Step 3- Consider bn = ∑(1/(an^(2) + 1) so
    ∑bn*(-1)^n = ∑(-1)^n/(an^(2) + 1)

According to leibniz criterion, if ∑ bn*(-1)^n is an alternate serie where the sucession bn is decreasing and convergent and its lim+00 = 0.(basically saying that bn must be convergent)
    I can conclude that ∑ bn*(-1)^n = ∑(-1)^n/(an^(2) + 1) is convergent!

15. Jun 21, 2016 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can come up with a sequence in which the ##b_n>0 ## are not monotone non-increasing, but which go to zero quickly enough that the series ##\sum b_n## converges anyway. You could not apply your argument to such a case.

16. Jun 21, 2016 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your Step 1 is wrong; you may have ##1/(a_n^2 +1) < 1/a_n## but there is no reason at all to assume you have ##\sum 1/(a_n^2 +1) < 1/a_n##. When you write things like that you are just begging for marks to be taken off!

Anyway, as I said before, you cannot just apply an alternating-series argument, because the successive terms may not be decreasing each and every time.

17. Jun 21, 2016 #16
    Sorry, ive been reviewing the steps and what i really meant to write as Step 1 was :

Step 1- I know that (1/(an^(2) + 1) < 1/an . (i bugged the integral symbol on the previous post)

Step 2- Since Σ1/an and ∑(1/(an^(2) + 1) have just positive terms i can conclude by the criterion of geral comparison that since ∑1/an is convergent ∑(1/(an^(2) + 1) is also convergent.

Step 3- Consider bn = ∑(1/(an^(2) + 1) so
    ∑bn*(-1)^n = ∑(-1)^n/(an^(2) + 1)

According to leibniz criterion, if ∑ bn*(-1)^n is an alternate serie where the sucession bn is decreasing and convergent and its lim+00 = 0.(basically saying that bn must be convergent)
    I can conclude that ∑ bn*(-1)^n = ∑(-1)^n/(an^(2) + 1) is convergent!

Note:Since bn is convergent cant i tell by D`Alembert criterion that if i do lim n->+00 bn+1/bn = <1 and so... doesnt this mean that bn is decreasing?

18. Jun 21, 2016 #17

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Consider an example like ##b_n = |\sin(n)|/n^{1.1}##. We have ##b_n \leq 1/n^{1.1}##, so ##\sum b_n## is dominated by the convergent ##p##-series ##\sum 1/n^{1.1}##, but the terms of ##b_n## do not form a non-decreasing sequence: we can have ##b_{n+1} > b_n## for infinitely many values of ##n##. Nevertheless, we can establish the convergence of ##\sum (-1)^n b_n##, essentially using the hints I supplied in post #12.

19. Jun 22, 2016 #18
    I´ve read and spent some time with post 12, but i just dont see how it does prove the convergence of ∑(-1)^nbn, could you provide me with any hint?

20. Jun 23, 2016 #19

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try writing out the first six or seven terms of both the finite sums ##\sum_{n=1}^N b_n## and ##\sum_{n=1}^N (-1)^n b_n##, then look carefully at what you have. It is important to remember that for finite sums it is perfectly legitimate to re-order the terms and collect them in any convenient forms you want.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted