Convergence Test for 1/(sqrt(k+5)) - How to Determine Series Convergence?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
raincheck
Messages
38
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Determine whether the series converges:
1/(sqrt(k+5))


Homework Equations


well i think I'm supposed to use the integral test, which has you take the integral of the series and the limit too..


The Attempt at a Solution


.. I'm just not sure how to begin, for some reason I'm completely BLANKING on how to take limits.. i know that the series diverges, but i don't know how to actually get that answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is also that for all k, [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt(k+5)}>\frac{1}{k+5}[/tex] and [tex]\sum \frac{1}{k+5}[/tex] is essentially the harmonic series. :rolleyes:

But I don't understand why you say you don't know where to begin while just before you were suggesting the use of the integral test.. :confused:
 
Last edited: