Convergence Test: P(z) = 1 - z/2 + z^2/4 - z^3/8

In summary: Thanks for your comments. This was an example from 'Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering' by Riley, Hobson and Bence (page 133). This is a very reliable book. I think I lack some important concept here. It's not you lacking some important concept here. It surely is a reliable book, but on this point you were right and they made a mistake. Happens to the best.
arpon

Homework Statement

##P(z) = 1 - \frac{z}{2} + \frac{z^2}{4} - \frac{z^3}{8} + ... ##
Determine if the series is convergent or divergent if ## |z| = 2 ##, where, ## z## is a complex number.

Homework Equations

##1+r+r^2+r^3+...+r^{N-1}=\frac{1-r^N}{1-r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let, ##z = 2 exp (i \theta)##[/B]
For the first ##N## terms, the summation is,
##P_N (z) = \frac{1-(-1)^N exp(iN\theta)}{1+exp(i \theta)}=\frac{1-(-1)^N \cos (N\theta) - i (-1)^N \sin (N \theta)}{1 + exp (i \theta)}##
As ## N \rightarrow \infty##, ##\cos (N \theta)## and ## \sin (N \theta)## do not converge to a particular value.
So, I conclude that the series is not convergent for ## |z|=2##
But the answer says that the series converges to ##\frac{1}{1+\frac{z}{2}}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
arpon said:

Homework Statement

##P(z) = 1 - \frac{z}{2} + \frac{z^2}{4} - \frac{z^3}{8} + ... ##
Determine if the series is convergent or divergent if ## |z| = 2 ##, where, ## z## is a complex number.

Homework Equations

##1+r+r^2+r^3+...+r^{N-1}=\frac{1-r^N}{1-r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let, ##z = 2 exp (i \theta)##[/B]
For the first ##N## terms, the summation is,
##P_N (z) = \frac{1-(-1)^N exp(iN\theta)}{1+exp(i \theta)}=\frac{1-(-1)^N \cos (N\theta) - i (-1)^N \sin (N \theta)}{1 + exp (i \theta)}##
As ## N \rightarrow \infty##, ##\cos (N \theta)## and ## \sin (N \theta)## do not converge to a particular value.
So, I conclude that the series is not convergent for ## |z|=2##
But the answer says that the series converges to ##\frac{1}{1+\frac{z}{2}}##
The general term of the series is ##a_n=\frac{(-1)^nz^n}{2^n}##.
Then, for ##|z|=2##, ##|a_n|=|\frac{z^n}{2^n}|=\frac{|z|^n}{2^n}=1##. How can this series converge if the sequence ##a_n## doesn't converge to 0?

I think you are correct.

Last edited:
Likes arpon
Samy_A said:
The general term of the series is ##a_n=\frac{(-1)^nz^n}{2^n}##.
Then, for ##|z|=2##, ##|a_n|=|\frac{z^n}{2^n}|=\frac{|z|^n}{2^n}=1##. How can this series converge if the sequence ##a_n## doesn't converge to 0?

I think you are correct.
Thanks for your comments. This was an example from 'Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering' by Riley, Hobson and Bence (page 133). This is a very reliable book. I think I lack some important concept here.

arpon said:
Thanks for your comments. This was an example from 'Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering' by Riley, Hobson and Bence (page 133). This is a very reliable book. I think I lack some important concept here.
I see. They write that it converges for all ##z## with ##|z|=2## except ##z=-2##.
Let's take ##z=2## then. The series becomes ##1-1+1-1 ...##, so the partial sums alternate between ##0## and ##1##.
A few lines before this they give an example with the same oscillating series and conclude (correctly in my book) that it doesn't converge:
limit.jpg

Call me baffled.

##\frac{1}{1+ z/2} = (1 + \frac{z}{2})^{-1} = 1 - \frac{z}{2} + \frac{z^2}{4} - \frac{z^3}{8} ... \ (|z| < 2)##

Likes arpon
PeroK said:
##\frac{1}{1+ z/2} = (1 + \frac{z}{2})^{-1} = 1 - \frac{z}{2} + \frac{z^2}{4} - \frac{z^3}{8} ... \ (|z| < 2)##
But the book claims that this series also converges for all ##z## with ##|z|=2## except ##z=-2##. This is clearly a highly regarded book, but still, I can't see how the series converges when ##|z|=2##.

Samy_A said:
But the book claims that this series also converges for all ##z## with ##|z|=2## except ##z=-2##. This is clearly a highly regarded book, but still, I can't see how the series converges when ##|z|=2##.

It doesn't. I thought you'd proved that.

PeroK said:
It doesn't. I thought you'd proved that.
I thought so too, but given the reputation of the book I started to fear I was missing something. Thanks for the second opinion.

arpon said:
It's not you lacking some important concept here. It surely is a reliable book, but on this point you were right and they made a mistake. Happens to the best.

Likes arpon

1. What is the purpose of using the "Convergence Test" in this equation?

The "Convergence Test" is a method used to determine whether a mathematical series, such as the one shown in this equation, will converge or diverge. This is important in understanding the behavior and limits of the series.

2. How is the "Convergence Test" used to evaluate this equation?

The "Convergence Test" involves determining the limit of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. In this equation, as the exponent on the z term increases, the coefficient decreases, so the series approaches 1 as the number of terms increases, indicating that it converges.

3. Are there any specific conditions that must be met for the "Convergence Test" to be used?

Yes, the "Convergence Test" can only be used on series that are in the form of a geometric series, where each term is a multiple of the previous term. Additionally, the common ratio (in this case, z) must be between -1 and 1 for the series to converge.

4. How does the "Convergence Test" differ from other methods of evaluating series?

The "Convergence Test" specifically focuses on determining whether a series will converge or diverge, rather than finding the exact value of the series. Other methods, such as the ratio test or the integral test, may be used to find the sum of a series.

5. Can the "Convergence Test" be used for all mathematical series?

No, the "Convergence Test" is only applicable to geometric series. Other types of series, such as arithmetic or power series, require different methods for determining convergence or divergence.