CONVERGENT nozzles contraction ratio and length

In summary: There may be slight differences depending on the nozzle geometry, but in general the pressure and density will expand to ambient following the isentropic relations at the nozzle exit. This is true regardless of the nozzle contraction ratio and length. Just remember that for a straight nozzle, the pressure at the exit will be equal to the ambient pressure, but for a converging-diverging nozzle, the pressure may be higher or lower than ambient depending on the pressure ratio. In summary, for a convergent nozzle, the pressure and density of the flow will typically expand to ambient at the nozzle exit, following the isentropic relations. This is true for both subsonic and supersonic flows, although there may be slight differences depending on the nozzle geometry and pressure ratio
jlchard1
I am currently designing a convergent nozzle for use in experiments and wanted to check something:

Will the pressure and density of the flow always expand to ambient (following the isentropic relations) when it reaches the nozzle exit regardless of nozzle contraction ratio and length?

Any help / advice regarding just CONVERGENT nozzles will be much appreciated.

James

Engineering news on Phys.org
I realize no one answered for first thread, but did you need to duplicate it rather than just bumping the original?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=732087

At any rate, do you mean does the flow expand to those conditions after exiting the nozzle? Because it never will when it is still inside the nozzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I am wondering if it will always correspond to ambient conditions directly at the nozzle exit? Will this always be the case irrespective of the nozzle geometry? (e.g. for a straight tube)

That depends. Depending on the pressure ratio, you may also have a shock at the exit plane, in which case "at the exit plane" could correspond to two different values. Otherwise yes, the pressure is, in general, going to be ambient at the exit of a nozzle.

Likes 1 person
Ok thankyou. In that case, what is the point in the nozzle converging to smaller area when the speed at the exit plane is simply dictated by the nozzle pressure ratio? i.e. why not use just a straight pipe?

boneh3ad said:
Otherwise yes, the pressure is, in general, going to be ambient at the exit of a nozzle.

I would tend to disagree with this statement, actually (for a supersonic nozzle). The pressure at the exit of a nozzle will be determined by the expansion ratio of the nozzle and the pressure feeding the nozzle. It will not tend to adjust itself to ambient, unless there is some mechanism to do so (such as the variable area nozzles found on many afterburning jet engines). Many rocket engines for example have exit pressures that are substantially different from ambient, either above or below (depending on the intended purpose of the motor), and this is what causes the "shock diamond" phenomenon visible in the exhaust.

Likes 1 person
But for a simple convergent subsonic nozzle the pressure will always be ambient at the exit plane?

cjl said:
I would tend to disagree with this statement, actually (for a supersonic nozzle). The pressure at the exit of a nozzle will be determined by the expansion ratio of the nozzle and the pressure feeding the nozzle. It will not tend to adjust itself to ambient, unless there is some mechanism to do so (such as the variable area nozzles found on many afterburning jet engines). Many rocket engines for example have exit pressures that are substantially different from ambient, either above or below (depending on the intended purpose of the motor), and this is what causes the "shock diamond" phenomenon visible in the exhaust.

Yes, for a supersonic, converging-diverging nozzle I agree. The OP was asking about a strictly converging nozzle, in which case either the flow is going to end up at ambient pressure at the exit or else the nozzle will be choked and it will be too high and will have to equalize after leaving the exit.

Also note, I mentioned there could be a shock at the exit, but with that I, too, was thinking about converging-diverging nozzles. That doesn't make sense with a strictly converging nozzle because you either have an equalized pressure at the exit or higher pressure, never lower.

But again, that takes me back to the first part of my answer: it depends on your pressure ratio (back pressure over upstream total pressure, [itex]p_b/p_{01}[/itex]). For air, if [itex]p_b/p_{01}<0.528[/itex], the flow will be choked and the exit pressure will be higher than ambient. If [itex]p_b/p_{01}\geq 0.528[/itex], the exit pressure equals the ambient pressure.

Likes 1 person
jlchard1 said:
But for a simple convergent subsonic nozzle the pressure will always be ambient at the exit plane?

For a subsonic nozzle, yes, it will typically be ambient at the exit. I agree with bonh3ad's post above this one.

Likes 1 person

What is the purpose of a convergent nozzle?

A convergent nozzle is used to accelerate a fluid, usually a gas, by decreasing its cross-sectional area. This acceleration increases the velocity and decreases the pressure of the fluid.

What is the contraction ratio of a convergent nozzle?

The contraction ratio of a convergent nozzle is the ratio of the exit area to the throat area. It is typically denoted by the symbol "A/A*". A higher contraction ratio means a greater decrease in cross-sectional area and therefore a greater acceleration of the fluid.

How is the contraction ratio of a convergent nozzle calculated?

The contraction ratio is calculated by dividing the exit area by the throat area. For example, if the exit area is 4 times larger than the throat area, the contraction ratio would be 4 (A/A* = 4).

How does the contraction ratio affect the performance of a convergent nozzle?

The contraction ratio plays a crucial role in the performance of a convergent nozzle. A higher contraction ratio allows for a greater acceleration of the fluid, resulting in a higher velocity and lower pressure at the exit. However, if the contraction ratio is too high, it can cause flow separation and decrease the efficiency of the nozzle.

What is the optimal length for a convergent nozzle?

The optimal length for a convergent nozzle depends on the desired exit velocity and the contraction ratio. Generally, a longer nozzle will result in a greater acceleration and higher exit velocity. However, the length should be balanced with other factors such as pressure drop and flow separation to achieve the best performance.