Conversion of data when working out ave velocity

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the acceleration given a change in velocity over time. The known data includes the initial velocity (u), time (t), final velocity (v), and an unknown acceleration (a). The attempt at a solution includes converting the units for u and solving for a using the equation a = (v-u)/t. The conversation also questions whether or not to convert units before solving and what equation to use for finding acceleration in units of m*s.
theguy123

Homework Statement

Basically we were given some data and are expected to work out one value for eg:
u = 20ms/1, t=?, a=2.0ms/2, v=0.

But I'm having trouble when the known data is something like...

u= 2.0x10^-5 ms/1
I have no idea whether i should be working u out before i use it...
like if i were to solve u before i apply it to the equation

Homework Equations

u = 1.7x10^-4 ms/1
t = 3.0x10^-3 s
a = ?
v = 5.1x10^-4

The Attempt at a Solution

u= 0.00017
t = 0.003 s
a = ?
v = 0.00051

0.00017 + a*0.003 = 0.00051

:: a= 0.11333333333333334

I'm confused.. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I have no idea what you are asking about. Unfortunately physics can vary with notation, and it's not obvious to me what your notation indicates.

What is the end goal here, to find acceleration given a change in velocity over time?

Mindscrape said:
Sorry, I have no idea what you are asking about. Unfortunately physics can vary with notation, and it's not obvious to me what your notation indicates.

What is the end goal here, to find acceleration given a change in velocity over time?

Whether i have to convert before i solve and what is the equation for working out
acceleration if you were originally using v=u+at

u is in units of m*s? what did you measure?

Thank you for the question. When working with scientific data, it is important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. In this case, the given data for u is in the unit of meters per second, but it is written in scientific notation. To convert this to a regular number, you can simply move the decimal point to the right by the exponent given. So in this case, 2.0x10^-5 ms/1 would become 0.00002 ms/1. Similarly, for u = 1.7x10^-4 ms/1, it would become 0.00017 ms/1.

Now, when solving for a, you can use the same approach as you did in your attempt at a solution. However, make sure to use the correct value for u in the equation. So it would be 0.00017 + a*0.003 = 0.00051. Solving for a, you would get a = 0.11333333333333334 ms/2 or 0.05666666666666667 ms/1.

In summary, when working with scientific data, make sure to pay attention to the units and convert them accordingly. This will ensure that your calculations are accurate. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = change in displacement/change in time. This is represented mathematically as: v = Δx/Δt.

2. How do you convert data when working out average velocity?

To convert data when working out average velocity, you first need to make sure all units are consistent. Then, simply plug the values into the formula: v = Δx/Δt. Make sure to include the correct units in the final answer.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction used in the calculation. For example, if an object is moving in the negative direction with a displacement of -10 meters and a time of 2 seconds, the average velocity would be -5 m/s.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall change in displacement over a specific period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity takes into account the entire journey, while instantaneous velocity is focused on a specific point.

5. How does acceleration affect average velocity?

Acceleration can affect average velocity by changing the velocity over time. If an object is accelerating, the average velocity will be different at different points in time. However, if the acceleration is constant, the average velocity can still be calculated using the same formula: v = Δx/Δt.