Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion of EDX linescans to concentration

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    I have recorded cross sections of a surface layer on a substrate in a scanning electron microscope (SEM), and took EDX (energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy) linescans across the layer.

These are typically given in counts or cts per second.

Now, I know the average thickness of the layer from SEM and image analysis, and know the total area, so I know the volume, but I need to know how many moles or how many grams of the atoms I deposited I have to get a concentration c = g/cm^3 or c,mol = mol/cm^3. How can I convert the EDX linescans into grams or mols?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    anyone kindly has an idea?

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I wish I can help, but I only use the EDX spectrum when I use the SEM only to identify the elements present, rather than to make quantitative determination of the concentration. I hope someone else who is familiar with such technique can respond.

I have a paper that may have either some technique, or at least make a reference to it, on doing such a determination. Check it out and see if it might help.

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/reprint/18/17/6623.pdf

Zz.

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Oct 6, 2009 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Actually, I'm not. But they were some of the papers I read when I was about to learn the physics of SEM.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook