Splitting of Eu characteristic L gamma radiation in EDX analysis?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with their SEM/EDS analysis of europium-containing samples that also seem to contain copper. They are suspicious of a correlation in intensities and believe that the last peak at 8.0 keV may belong to europium instead of copper. They are looking for a reference to determine the number and energy positions of europium peaks. Another person suggests a website with information on europium and copper spectra, but the person seeking help is still unsure and asks for someone to look at their EDS spectrum.
osskall
Haven't been able to find the answer anywhere IRL yet, so I thought I'd see if someone in the PhysicsForums could help me with this one.
When doing SEM/EDS (EDX/EDXS) (~equivalent to x-ray fluorescence) analysis it looks as if my europium containing samples contain copper as well, which'd surprise me a lot. Actually, there seems to be a correlation in intensities so that made me suspicious.
The Eu L series (of electron deexcitation) consists of several peaks, of which some are more prominent than others. The EDS analysis program fits the curves to an analytical function in order to render possible a quantitative analysis. According to the curve fit, the last peak at about 8.0 keV does not belong to the europium peaks - instead it fits quite well with the energy of Cu K alpha, but I'm starting to suspect that, in fact, it does, but is simply overlooked by the program - possibly because people normally don't have so much europium in their samples...
I know that the L gamma peak is split but I don't know into how many peaks; also the program doesn't make any difference between the gamma peaks.
Does somebody have a good reference here where one can see clearly which peaks belong to europium? - how many L alpha, beta, gamma etc. peaks are there, and at what energies?
I've been able to find some info on relative intensities but that doesn't help without the positions on the energy scale. E.g. för the EuM peaks I see that one peak is always exaggerated compared to the theoretical intensity and another peak is always too low.
So could somebody give me a reference with a graph, or a table of fluorescence energies?

Physics news on Phys.org

The splitting of Eu characteristic L gamma radiation in EDX analysis is a common phenomenon that is well-documented in the scientific literature. It occurs due to the complex electronic structure of the europium atom, which results in multiple energy levels for its characteristic L gamma radiation. This splitting can be observed in EDX analysis as multiple peaks in the spectrum, rather than a single peak as would be expected for a pure element.

The exact number of peaks and their energies can vary depending on the specific sample and analysis conditions. However, a good reference for this information is the NIST X-ray Transition Energies Database (https://www.nist.gov/pml/x-ray-transition-energies-database), which provides a comprehensive list of x-ray energies for all elements, including europium.

In addition, it is important to note that the intensity of each peak can also vary due to factors such as matrix effects and instrumental parameters. Therefore, it is necessary to carefully interpret the EDX spectrum and consider all possible sources of variation in order to accurately identify and quantify the elements present in a sample.

I hope this information helps you in your analysis. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the splitting of Eu characteristic L gamma radiation in EDX analysis?

The splitting of Eu characteristic L gamma radiation in EDX analysis refers to the phenomenon where the energy of the characteristic L gamma radiation emitted from a sample is split into two peaks instead of one. This is due to the presence of multiple unresolved energy levels in the electron shells of the element.

2. Why does the splitting of Eu characteristic L gamma radiation occur?

The splitting occurs because of the complex electron configurations of the element Europium. These configurations lead to multiple energy levels in the electron shells, resulting in the splitting of the characteristic L gamma radiation peak.

3. How does the splitting of Eu characteristic L gamma radiation affect EDX analysis?

The splitting affects EDX analysis by making it more challenging to accurately identify and quantify the presence of Europium in a sample. The presence of the split peak can cause interference with other elements, leading to incorrect results if not properly accounted for.

4. Can the splitting of Eu characteristic L gamma radiation be corrected?

Yes, the splitting can be corrected through mathematical methods such as peak deconvolution or through the use of specialized hardware and software in EDX analysis systems. These methods help to separate the split peaks and provide more accurate results.

5. Is the splitting of Eu characteristic L gamma radiation unique to Europium?

No, the splitting phenomenon can occur in other elements with complex electron configurations as well. However, it is more commonly observed in elements like Europium, Gadolinium, and Dysprosium due to their unique electron structures.