Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion of g acceleration into "body weight"

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,

I have a table with vertical peak acceleration values [g] and I want to find out a formula that convert the [g] values into ground reaction forces in units of body weight (BW). I think Newton´s 2nd law (F = m x a) may help but I am stuck on finding a generic relationship (problem is that I do not have the body mass values...)

Example: peak acceleration of a walking person is 2 "g". How much is it in terms of body weights?

Activity [g] [Body weight]
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Walking 2 ????
    Jumping 5 ????

Thank you!

tjvv

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Coordinate acceleration (CA) relative to ground, or proper acceleration (PA) that an accelerometer measures?

You mean the vertical ground reaction force (VGRF) needed to achieve that vertical acceleration?

VGRF[BW] = PA[g] = CA+1[g]

4. Jul 28, 2015 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Body weight is a force so to express body weight in terms of acceleration you would have to multiply by the body's mass.

g = 9.8 m/sec2. The body weight of a person of mass M (in kg) is Mg =9.8M Newtons.

So a person walking horizontally and accelerating horizontally at 2g = 19.6 m/sec2 would have to exert a force of 2Mg = 19.6M Newtons, where M=mass of the person.

AM

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. Jul 28, 2015 #4
    I mean proper acceleration (PA) that an accelerometer measures.

Yes, when I mean bodyweight it is the vertical ground reaction force.

Since it is a force we can put in newton´s 2nd law (F=m * a):

F = [(m * acceleration measured) / (m * earth acceleration)] + 1 //+1 is to consider only linear acceleration (excluding earth gravity)
    BW = [acceleration measured / earth gravity] +1

So in the example from the table above:

BW = [2 / 10] +1 //considering gravity as 10m/s2 to simplify
    BW = 0.2 +1
    BW = 1.2 which means the force of walking would be 1.2 times the body weight of a person

General formula would be this: BW = [acceleration measured / earth gravity] +1

Is this correct?

6. Jul 28, 2015 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If "acceleration measured" is proper acceleration then you don't need that "+1". See my formula in post #2.

7. Jul 28, 2015 #6
    Hi AT,

sorry I meant Coordinate acceleration (CA) relative to ground (since it excludes the earth gravity).

So from your formula it means that to convert a G force into BW it is just sum the measured g force with earth´s gravity?
    Example:
    BW = CA+1[g]
    BW = 2 + 1
    BW = 3 (getting the initial table example, would mean that the force acting when people is walking would be 3 times person´s body weight)

Can you please confirm?

Thanks

8. Jul 28, 2015 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To accelerate your center of mass at 2g upwards, relative to the ground, you have to apply 3 times your body weight to the ground. But you don't have such high accelerations during walking.

9. Jul 29, 2015 #8

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to add to what AT has said, if you think of the acceleration provided by a 100 m. sprinter running the 100 m. dash in 10.4 seconds and taking 1 second to get up to a speed of 10 m/sec, the acceleration is only 1 g. I think that is pretty close to the maximum horizontal human acceleration you are going to see.

AM

10. Jul 29, 2015 #9

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He is asking about vertical accelerations, which can be higher for a fraction of a second during landing impact (jumping, running fast). But during normal walking the vertical ground reaction doesn't go much beyond 1 body weight, so the vertical acceleration is a small fraction of 1g.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook