Convert average into GPA for a foreigner

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying in Argentina who is concerned about their GPA and whether it will be recognized in the US. They ask for a way to calculate their GPA based on their average, but it is mentioned that there is no official conversion between grading systems. A website is shared as a guideline, but it is not an official measure.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi PF,
It might sounds stupid but if I don't ask I'll not know until I reach another turning point in my life.
I'm currently studying in Argentina and I'd like to know if there is a website or something like that that can tell what is my GPA in function of my average. Here we're evaluated on 10 and the passing grade is 4/10. I've heard that a 4/10 correspond to scoring well 60% of the exam, but it might just be rumors.
I'm a bit worried about my average and I'd like to know if I can dream about graduating in the US. Anyway I know I better score the best possible in order not to worry that much.
Sorry if I posted in the wrong section. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, there is no hard and fast way to convert between foreign grading systems.

uman said:
In general, there is no hard and fast way to convert between foreign grading systems.
Ok. Thank you for answering. It remains to me to get the best grades now.

I did find this. But keep in mind that it has no official meaning; it's just a guideline.

http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/argentina.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
uman said:
I did find this. But keep in mind that it has no official meaning; it's just a guideline.

http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/argentina.htm
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Convert average into GPA for a foreigner

1. How is GPA calculated for a foreign student?

The GPA for a foreign student is calculated by converting the student's grades from their home country's grading system to the equivalent grades on a 4.0 scale. This conversion is based on the evaluation of the student's academic transcripts by the university or an official credential evaluation agency.

2. What is a good GPA for a foreign student?

A good GPA for a foreign student can vary depending on the university and the program they are applying to. Generally, a GPA above 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is considered good, but it is important to research the specific requirements of the university or program.

3. Can a foreign student's GPA be converted to a different scale?

Yes, a foreign student's GPA can be converted to a different scale. Some universities may use a different scale, such as a 5.0 or 10.0 scale, so it is important to check with the university or credential evaluation agency on how to convert the GPA to the desired scale.

4. How does a foreign student's GPA affect their chances of admission?

A foreign student's GPA is one of the factors that universities consider in the admission process. However, it is not the only factor and universities also take into account other aspects such as extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. A strong GPA can improve a student's chances of admission, but it is not the sole determining factor.

5. Is a GPA from a foreign university equivalent to a GPA from a US university?

It is not always possible to directly compare GPAs from different countries as grading systems can vary significantly. However, universities use credential evaluation agencies to assess the equivalency of foreign GPAs and ensure a fair evaluation of the student's academic performance.