Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert differential equation to finite difference equation

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    I have the differential equation

[itex]\frac{dM}{dt}=4\pi \rho(r,t)r(t)^2\frac{dr}{dt}
    [/itex]

which is the first term from

[itex]M(t)=4\pi\int_0^{r(t)}C(r,t)r(t)^2dr[/itex]

This describes the change in mass (M) of a sphere from a change in radius (r) given a density (rho) that depends on radius and time (t).

My problem is somewhat simple. I tried to convert this equation into a finite difference formula as follows:

[itex]M_1-M_0=4\pi \rho(r,t)r^2(r_1-r_0)[/itex]

where subscript 1 indicates the value at a new timestep.

I must be doing something wrong because the volume of a sphere requires a 1/3 to come from somewhere on the right hand side..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hmm..
    1. Haven't you forgotten the integral term in dM/dt that sums up the rate of mass change due to the local rate of change of the density function?

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3
    Yes the full form is

[itex]\frac{dM}{dt}=4\pi \rho(r,t)r(t)^2\frac{dr}{dt}+4\pi\int_0^{r(t)}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}x^2 dx[/itex]

but I don't see how the 1/3 for the first term can come from the additional term. My problem with the finite-difference conversion would remain if I assumed [itex]\rho[/itex] did not depend on time (thus removing the last term).

5. Sep 15, 2013 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As it should be.
    Let's review the case in which the density is constant.

We then have:
    [tex]M(t+\bigtriangleup{t})=\frac{4\pi\rho}{3}r(t+\bigtriangleup{t})^{3}\approx\frac{4\pi\rho}{3}(r(t)+\frac{dr}{dt}\bigtriangleup{t})^{3}\approx\frac{4\pi\rho}{3}r(t)^{3}+{4\pi}r(t)^{2}\frac{dr}{dt}\bigtriangleup{t}=M(t)+{4\pi}r(t)^{2}\frac{dr}{dt}\bigtriangleup{t}[/tex]
    when we discard non-linear terms in the time interval.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  6. Sep 15, 2013 #5
    I still don't see where 1/3 and the r^3 are coming from. It looks like it comes out of an integration over time but the dr/dt in such an integral seems to make it go to r^4.

7. Sep 17, 2013 #6
    [tex]\frac{dM}{dt}=\frac{4\pi}{3} \rho(r^3,t)\frac{dr^3}{dt}+\frac{4\pi}{3}\int_0^{r^3(t)}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}dx^3 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook