Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert graph to equatio (software)

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    Hi. I'm new to this forum. I would like to ask is there any software that can convert graph to equation. My graph is in xy graph. I need to create a new accurate equation to make data more precisely. Appreciate to anyone who can help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    That's an intractable problem in general. You might try performing regression; any statistics software will do it for you (e.g. MATLAB, R).

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3
    if i have a set of data that able to draw graph, can i apply the data to generate the equation?

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

If you have the xy data you can fit a function to it. If you have MATLAB I'd use the Curve Fitting Toolbox, cftool. It offers a nice GUI showing the data set and the fit, and offers several basis functions to choose from.

6. Jun 5, 2012 #5
    If you don't have matlab, Microsoft Excel can also do some basic regressions/curve fitting.

7. Jun 5, 2012 #6
    Btw, how to call that function out from microsoft excel after ploting the graph?

8. Jun 6, 2012 #7

jhae2.718

Gold Member

There's a built-in Excel function that will give you the weights for a fitted basis function; I don't remember what it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook