Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Converting a number to rectangular form

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1
    Find the rectangular form of the complex number z=a+bi which has modulus 2 and principal argument theta = -pie/6
    2cos(-pie/6) to get length of x
    =sqrt3 What is the method used to get an answer in this form instead of decimal form (1.732) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Use Euler's formula

4. Mar 14, 2008 #3
    Could you please show me the steps?

5. Mar 14, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The complex number with modulus r and argument theta is r*exp(i*theta)=r*(cos(theta)+i*sin(theta)). exp(i*theta)=cos(theta)+i*sin(theta) is Euler's formula.

6. Mar 14, 2008 #5
    Isn't there a quicker way to do it?

7. Mar 14, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

?? If you followed that then the real part of z is x=r*cos(theta)=2*cos(-pi/6). What do you mean 'quicker'. I just wrote it down. I didn't compute anything. How could anything else be quicker?

8. Mar 14, 2008 #7
    I have that in my initial post. I was just wanting to know how u get sqrt3 instead of 1.732.

9. Mar 14, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh. Sorry. Draw an equilateral triangle with side 1. Then pi/6 is half of one of the angles (since they are all pi/3). So split the equilateral triangle into two right triangles with base 1/2 and hypotenuse 1. The remaining side is sqrt(3)/2. Use pythagoras. cos(pi/6) is that remaining side over the hypotenuse. So cos(pi/6)=sqrt(3)/2. So 2*cos(pi/6)=sqrt(3). Misunderstood your question.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook