1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers in mod-arg form ( cis )

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    Complex numbers in mod-arg form ("cis")

Greetings, I'm learning about the mod-arg form. I find it fairly easy when I come across simple radians that relate to the two special triangles like pie/3, pie/4 and pie/6. But when the radians become a little bit more complicated like 3pie/4 I'm in the foetal position. This equation in particular; "2cis3pie/4"

I only get to 2cos 135degress + i2 sin 135degrees

I can't simplify it down. I know that 3pie/4 is 135degrees but i can't convert it to a fraction. If anyone could help me with a method to solve more complicated radians that would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Re: Complex numbers in mod-arg form ("cis")

One way is to use the sum and difference formulas for sine and cosine:
    cos(135) = cos(180 - 45) = ?

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can either look at a graph of sin(x) and cos(x) and realize that 3*pi/4 has a lot in common with pi/4 using symmetries, or you can realize 135=90+45 and use addition formulas like sin(a+b)=sin(a)*cos(b)+cos(a)*sin(b) etc. I.e. sin(a+90)=cos(a), so sin(135)=cos(45).

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4

Ohh! ok. So I can use the sum in this case. It's confusing for me cause I didn't now if I'm allowed to use the sum of cosine or sine of the angle since I do two math subjects and I'm not allowed to use some methods in one maths subject. So I can also draw an Argand Diagram to help me out as well? I think I should just stick to the graph (argand diagram) since that leans towards the maths subject im doing. so would I draw it as 135degrees on one side of the graph then 45degrees in in the special triangle on the otherside? Or am I completely off track?

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, just use the graph. The special triangles are symmetrical.

7. Sep 3, 2009 #6

ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook