1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical equation to Rectangular

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An equation is given in spherical coordinates

## \rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta) ##

Express the equation in rectangular coordinates

a) ## (x-4)^2 + y^2 = 16 ##
    b) ## x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16 ##
    c) ## x^2 + (y-4)^2 = 16 ##

2. Relevant equations

## x = \rho sin \phi cos \theta, y = \rho sin \phi sin \theta, z = \rho cos \phi ##

## \rho = \sqrt {x^2 + y ^2 + z^2}, tan \theta = \frac y x, cos \phi = \frac {z} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 + z^2} } ##

3. The attempt at a solution

Everytime I try to do this problem, I cannot get any of the clean answers is has in the multiple choice.

In the relevent equations above, I plug in the ##\rho## for the ##\rho##, solve for ##\theta## and ##\phi## and plug those in as well, and I get this giant mess of an equation that has no means of simplifying down further.

I've tried using trigonometric identities and such to simplify, but I don't think I understand exactly what it wants me to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do the opposite, substitute the equation ##\rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta)## into the expression for x and y and z and then try which equation from a, b, c is valid.

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3
    Okay, I get what you mean, but I'm not seeing how to plug the equation into the x, y, and z expressions, there doesn't seem any common substitution grounds between the whole equation and one of the x,y, or z's.

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You wrote that ##x = \rho sin \phi cos \theta, y = \rho sin \phi sin \theta, z = \rho cos \phi##. The problem states that ##\rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta)##. You can substitute ##8 \cos(θ)## for ## ρ\sin(\phi)##, so ##x=8 \cos^2(θ)## and ##y=8 \cos(θ)\sin(θ)##. Is ##(x-4)^2+y^2=16## true?

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5
    v

After doing the substitution I determined that equation wasn't true, I ended up getting ## 4sin(2\theta) - 64cos(\theta)^2 + 64cos(\theta)^4 = 16 ## and I'm not seeing much of anyway to reduce that any further.

My question in response to this, is from getting ## x = 8cos^2(\theta)## and ## y = 8cos(\theta)sin(\theta) ## how would I deduce the formula in x, y, z form, without having to look at those multiple choice answers?

7. Jan 30, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You did something wrong.
    Well, let's go back to the direct way.
    ##\rho = \sqrt {x^2 + y ^2 + z^2}, tan \theta = \frac {y} {x}, cos \phi = \frac {z} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 + z^2} }##. Write cos(θ) in terms of x, y.

8. Jan 30, 2016 #7
    ## cos(\theta) = \frac {xsin(\theta)} {y} ## ?

9. Jan 30, 2016 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  10. Jan 30, 2016 #9
    Oh okay... Do you mean ##cos(\theta) = \frac {x} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2}} ##

11. Jan 30, 2016 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. Now, substitute the expressions for ρ,sinΦ and cosθ into the equation ρsin(Φ)=8cos(θ).

12. Jan 30, 2016 #11
    Okay, so when I did this I found an expression for ##sin(\phi)## as well before substituting, because I didn't know how else to do it.

## psin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta) ##
    ## \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} \frac {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}} = 8 \frac {x} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}##
    ## \frac {x^2 + y^2} {x} = 8 ##

not really sure what else I can do here besides divide the x through the left hand side.

13. Jan 30, 2016 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Multiply the equation by x, and arrange it so as the right hand side is zero. Complete square for x.

14. Jan 30, 2016 #13
    Okay, I've got it!

After completing the square I've arrived at ##(x-4)^2 + y^2 = 16##

Thank you a lot for your time, I was really frustrated with this problem, and wasn't following it. I appreciate it.

15. Jan 30, 2016 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well done!

The other method would have been a bit easier. Substituting ##x = 8\cos^2(\theta)## and ##y=8 \cos(θ)\sin(θ)## into the expression ##(x-4)^2 +y^2## : ## (8\cos^2(\theta)-4)^2+(8 \cos(θ)\sin(θ))^2 = 64\cos^4(\theta)-64\cos^2(\theta)+16 + 64 \cos^2(\theta)\sin^2(\theta) = 64 \cos^2(\theta)(\cos^2(\theta)+\sin^2(\theta)) -64\cos^2(\theta) +16 = 64 \cos^2(\theta) -64\cos^2(\theta) +16 =16 ## , that is, a) proved to be true.

16. Jan 31, 2016 #15

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it is a matter of choosing, you can throw away the middle choice ## x^2+y^2+z^2=16 ## , which would have equation ##\rho=4 ##. But this is the easy part, ehild took care of the hard 99%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted