Spherical equation to Rectangular

In summary: I didn't know how else to do it.## psin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta) #### \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} \frac {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}} = 8 \frac {x} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}#### \frac {x^2 + y^2} {x} = 8 ##not really sure what else I can do here besides divide the x through the left hand side.You can substitute ##8 \cos(θ)## for ## ρ\sin(\phi)##
Destroxia

Homework Statement

An equation is given in spherical coordinates

## \rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta) ##

Express the equation in rectangular coordinates

a) ## (x-4)^2 + y^2 = 16 ##
b) ## x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16 ##
c) ## x^2 + (y-4)^2 = 16 ##

Homework Equations

## x = \rho sin \phi cos \theta, y = \rho sin \phi sin \theta, z = \rho cos \phi ##

## \rho = \sqrt {x^2 + y ^2 + z^2}, tan \theta = \frac y x, cos \phi = \frac {z} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 + z^2} } ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Everytime I try to do this problem, I cannot get any of the clean answers is has in the multiple choice.

In the relevant equations above, I plug in the ##\rho## for the ##\rho##, solve for ##\theta## and ##\phi## and plug those in as well, and I get this giant mess of an equation that has no means of simplifying down further.

I've tried using trigonometric identities and such to simplify, but I don't think I understand exactly what it wants me to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

An equation is given in spherical coordinates

## \rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta) ##

Express the equation in rectangular coordinates

a) ## (x-4)^2 + y^2 = 16 ##
b) ## x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16 ##
c) ## x^2 + (y-4)^2 = 16 ##

Homework Equations

## x = \rho sin \phi cos \theta, y = \rho sin \phi sin \theta, z = \rho cos \phi ##

## \rho = \sqrt {x^2 + y ^2 + z^2}, tan \theta = \frac y x, cos \phi = \frac {z} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 + z^2} } ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Everytime I try to do this problem, I cannot get any of the clean answers is has in the multiple choice.

In the relevant equations above, I plug in the ##\rho## for the ##\rho##, solve for ##\theta## and ##\phi## and plug those in as well, and I get this giant mess of an equation that has no means of simplifying down further.

I've tried using trigonometric identities and such to simplify, but I don't think I understand exactly what it wants me to do. [/B]
Do the opposite, substitute the equation ##\rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta)## into the expression for x and y and z and then try which equation from a, b, c is valid.

ehild said:
Do the opposite, substitute the equation ##\rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta)## into the expression for x and y and z and then try which equation from a, b, c is valid.

Okay, I get what you mean, but I'm not seeing how to plug the equation into the x, y, and z expressions, there doesn't seem any common substitution grounds between the whole equation and one of the x,y, or z's.

RyanTAsher said:
Okay, I get what you mean, but I'm not seeing how to plug the equation into the x, y, and z expressions, there doesn't seem any common substitution grounds between the whole equation and one of the x,y, or z's.
You wrote that ##x = \rho sin \phi cos \theta, y = \rho sin \phi sin \theta, z = \rho cos \phi##. The problem states that ##\rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta)##. You can substitute ##8 \cos(θ)## for ## ρ\sin(\phi)##, so ##x=8 \cos^2(θ)## and ##y=8 \cos(θ)\sin(θ)##. Is ##(x-4)^2+y^2=16## true?

ehild said:
You wrote that ##x = \rho sin \phi cos \theta, y = \rho sin \phi sin \theta, z = \rho cos \phi##. The problem states that ##\rho sin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta)##. You can substitute ##8 \cos(θ)## for ## ρ\sin(\phi)##, so ##x=8 \cos^2(θ)## and ##y=8 \cos(θ)\sin(θ)##. Is ##(x-4)^2+y^2=16## true?
v

After doing the substitution I determined that equation wasn't true, I ended up getting ## 4sin(2\theta) - 64cos(\theta)^2 + 64cos(\theta)^4 = 16 ## and I'm not seeing much of anyway to reduce that any further.

My question in response to this, is from getting ## x = 8cos^2(\theta)## and ## y = 8cos(\theta)sin(\theta) ## how would I deduce the formula in x, y, z form, without having to look at those multiple choice answers?

RyanTAsher said:
After doing the substitution I determined that equation wasn't true, I ended up getting ## 4sin(2\theta) - 64cos(\theta)^2 + 64cos(\theta)^4 = 16 ## and I'm not seeing much of anyway to reduce that any further.
You did something wrong.
RyanTAsher said:
My question in response to this, is from getting ## x = 8cos^2(\theta)## and ## y = 8cos(\theta)sin(\theta) ## how would I deduce the formula in x, y, z form, without having to look at those multiple choice answers?
Well, let's go back to the direct way.
##\rho = \sqrt {x^2 + y ^2 + z^2}, tan \theta = \frac {y} {x}, cos \phi = \frac {z} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 + z^2} }##. Write cos(θ) in terms of x, y.

ehild said:
You did something wrong.

Well, let's go back to the direct way.
##\rho = \sqrt {x^2 + y ^2 + z^2}, tan \theta = \frac {y} {x}, cos \phi = \frac {z} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 + z^2} }##. Write cos(θ) in terms of x, y.

## cos(\theta) = \frac {xsin(\theta)} {y} ## ?

ehild said:
No, give it in terms of x and y. Remember what is the angle theta.

Oh okay... Do you mean ##cos(\theta) = \frac {x} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2}} ##

RyanTAsher said:
Oh okay... Do you mean ##cos(\theta) = \frac {x} {\sqrt {x^2 + y^2}} ##
Correct. Now, substitute the expressions for ρ,sinΦ and cosθ into the equation ρsin(Φ)=8cos(θ).

ehild said:
Correct. Now, substitute the expressions for ρ,sinΦ and cosθ into the equation ρsin(Φ)=8cos(θ).

Okay, so when I did this I found an expression for ##sin(\phi)## as well before substituting, because I didn't know how else to do it.

## psin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta) ##
## \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} \frac {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}} = 8 \frac {x} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}##
## \frac {x^2 + y^2} {x} = 8 ##

not really sure what else I can do here besides divide the x through the left hand side.

RyanTAsher said:
Okay, so when I did this I found an expression for ##sin(\phi)## as well before substituting, because I didn't know how else to do it.

## psin(\phi) = 8cos(\theta) ##
## \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} \frac {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}} = 8 \frac {x} {\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}}##
## \frac {x^2 + y^2} {x} = 8 ##

not really sure what else I can do here besides divide the x through the left hand side.
Multiply the equation by x, and arrange it so as the right hand side is zero. Complete square for x.

Okay, I've got it!

After completing the square I've arrived at ##(x-4)^2 + y^2 = 16##

Thank you a lot for your time, I was really frustrated with this problem, and wasn't following it. I appreciate it.

Well done!

The other method would have been a bit easier. Substituting ##x = 8\cos^2(\theta)## and ##y=8 \cos(θ)\sin(θ)## into the expression ##(x-4)^2 +y^2## : ## (8\cos^2(\theta)-4)^2+(8 \cos(θ)\sin(θ))^2 = 64\cos^4(\theta)-64\cos^2(\theta)+16 + 64 \cos^2(\theta)\sin^2(\theta) = 64 \cos^2(\theta)(\cos^2(\theta)+\sin^2(\theta)) -64\cos^2(\theta) +16 = 64 \cos^2(\theta) -64\cos^2(\theta) +16 =16 ## , that is, a) proved to be true.

If it is a matter of choosing, you can throw away the middle choice ## x^2+y^2+z^2=16 ## , which would have equation ##\rho=4 ##. But this is the easy part, ehild took care of the hard 99%.

1. How do you convert a spherical equation to rectangular?

To convert a spherical equation to rectangular, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * sinθ * cosφ
y = r * sinθ * sinφ
z = r * cosθ

2. What is the purpose of converting a spherical equation to rectangular?

The purpose of converting a spherical equation to rectangular is to make it easier to graph and visualize in the Cartesian coordinate system. It also allows for easier calculation of distances and angles between points in three-dimensional space.

3. Can a spherical equation be converted to rectangular for any type of shape?

Yes, a spherical equation can be converted to rectangular for any type of shape, as long as the shape can be represented in spherical coordinates. This includes spheres, cones, cylinders, and other curved surfaces.

4. Is it possible to convert a rectangular equation to spherical?

Yes, it is possible to convert a rectangular equation to spherical using the inverse formulas:
r = √(x2 + y2 + z2)
θ = tan-1(√(x2 + y2) / z)
φ = tan-1(y / x)

5. Are there any limitations to converting a spherical equation to rectangular?

One limitation of converting a spherical equation to rectangular is that it only works for points in three-dimensional space. Additionally, the conversion may not be possible for certain complex shapes or equations that cannot be represented in spherical coordinates.