Converting a toy that runs on batteries to wall power

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ryanduty
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
In a desperate search to find a bubbly little icon for my aquarium, I came up disappointed and learned that nothing I grew up with was available anymore because it contained lead based paint. The disappointment quickly transformed into a challenge that got me excited.

I was looking at a volcano piece that bubbles and lights up (and yes, it's submersible). Although it was cool, it wasn't what I wanted. Being a BIOSHOCK fan, I just purchased a Big Daddy Toy with the intent to make it the center piece in my aquarium.

The Big Daddy has 3 LED lights (Red, Yellow, and Green) which are manually selected via a switch. They are powered by 3 AG13 batteries (1.5 volt each).

I can seal all cracks so water don't get in, drill some holes to hook up a bubbler, but wiring a plug to it is going to be the real challenge. I not only want to bypass the battery terminal and go direct, but I want it to gradually cycle between the 3 colors. There are 4 stages for the lights. (1=off, 2,3,4= either red, green, or yellow). I have no idea what to buy to control the cycle.

I have gathered from research that I will need a 4.5 volt adapter, but other than that I'm at a loss.

If the batteries are consuming 4.5 volts, will whatever mechanism that cycles the lights up my usage?
Sounds silly, but it'll be awesome if I can get it done.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
In general mains voltage and water don't mix, get someone who has some electrical qualifications to help with this one, otherwise you might well end up with a tank of dead fish or a floor of dead you.