Outlet adapter to mimic a car battery to power 12V devices

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 4K views
DagmaarUlereich
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Sorry if this is a very simple question but i have been googling and looking around for a straight anwser but can seem to find a solid answere or draw a solid conclusion from information I've reached. So

I have a rgb led light for a car, the box says input 12vDC.
if I wanted to set these up indoors could I take the entire wire set up photo attached
( includes on off switch, a fuse, input leads and a male coupler that fits into the female coupling of the light controller)
and simply replace it with a 12vDc wall adapter with the appropriate sized coupler?

Also would it be possible or smarter/better to use any 12vDc wall adapter of the appropriate amperage & polarity and remove the coupler and just wire the adapter straight to the Power imput leads?

If either idea is suitable then what should the amperage and polarity of the wall adapter be?
Thank you for letting me post such a question.
And thanks to anyone who chimes in :)
 
Attachments
  • 16824329351372845485629935715409.jpg
    16824329351372845485629935715409.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 164
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

DagmaarUlereich said:
Also would it be possible or smarter/better to use any 12vDc wall adapter of the appropriate amperage & polarity and remove the coupler and just wire the adapter straight to the Power imput leads?
Avoid wiring the 12VDC adapter directly to the light. It is easier to identify problems if you can unplug the circuit to test it. The warranty would be void if you wired it without the provided connector.

DagmaarUlereich said:
If either idea is suitable then what should the amperage and polarity of the wall adapter be?
Without more information on current requirement, I would suggest that the adaptor be rated for the same current as the fuse provided.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd and DagmaarUlereich
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.Avoid wiring the 12VDC adapter directly to the light. It is easier to identify problems if you can unplug the circuit to test it. The warranty would be void if you wired it without the provided connector.Without more information on current requirement, I would suggest that the adaptor be rated for the same current as the fuse provided.
Thank you very much for responding.
after reading this i Kinda have the strong urge to face palm myself for even asking, lolbvs I have a big doubts in my own working sense of electronics, so I hope to get over it soon as I gain more experience.
Thanks again !
 
DagmaarUlereich said:
I have a big doubts in my own working sense of electronics, so I hope to get over it soon as I gain more experience.
Stay away from mains voltage AC. You do not need to experience that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and DagmaarUlereich
I've done this with a big battery and it worked fine. You can go to an auto store and get the reverse socket to plug your light into.

The big question is how much power can your wall adapter output, and is it enough for your light? A cigarette lighter can usually output 150 watts, (12.5 amps at 12 volts) which is a lot more than most wall warts can deliver. As Baluncore says above, check what your light will actually draw and get something a bit bigger.
 
Baluncore said:
Without more information on current requirement, I would suggest that the adaptor be rated for the same current as the fuse provided.
Same or greater, not closest match.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DagmaarUlereich, Algr and phinds