1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting an nth order equation to a system of first order equations

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    convert y'' +x^2y'+12y=0 to a system of first order equations with initial conditions y(0)=0 y'(0)=7.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    first i isolate highest derivative y'' = -x^2y'-12y
    then i let u_1=y u_2=y'

then (u_1)' = u_2 and (u_2)= y''

then (u_2)' = (-12u_1)-(x^2u_2)

i then write these as

(u_1)' = 0*u_1 + 1u_2
    (u_2)' = (-12u_1) + (-x^2u_2)

so then in matrix form i have

matrix [u_1 u_2] = [top -0 1 bottom -12 -x^2] *[u_1 u_2] + [0 0]

i think im close but i don't know how to get vector c but putting vec u(0) ....pls help and sorry for the poor notation...i can rewrite but i can't find link to use the symbols and such

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    bump...pleaseee help

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you've basically got it. [u1,u2]'=[[0,1],[-12,-x^2]]*[u1,u2]. You can add [0,0] to that but there's no need to. The initial condition is then [u1(0),u2(0)]=[0,7], right? If you want some texing clues check out https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4
    im sorry but if u can, please help me with that matrix algebra...my prof just copied chicken scratch notes and didn't explain anything.

edit :this is what i get

[u1,u2]'= [top 0 u1 bottom -12u2 -x^2u2]

how to i get my final answer

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's not much to explain. The problem was to convert the problem to a system of first order ode's. You have already done that, I think. It didn't say you should solve it, right? It just said convert.

7. Nov 2, 2009 #6
    your right, it says to convert, but my prof also wants us to find vector c with the initial conditions (forgot to mention). thats how im not sure you get [0,7] which is the correct answer

8. Nov 2, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[u1(0),u2(0)]=[y(0),y'(0)], that was your definition of u1 and u2, right?

9. Nov 2, 2009 #8
  10. Nov 2, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so I'm guessing you also see why that's [0,7].

11. Nov 2, 2009 #10
    ok i think i get it... the y values from the initial conditions are the ones put in the vector c matrix

12. Nov 2, 2009 #11
    got it thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook