1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove :Union of Three subspaces is a subspace if ...

1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the the union of three subspaces is a subspace if one of the subspaces contains the others

2. Relevant equations
    A subset W of a vector space V is called a subspace if : 1) ##0 \in W ##. 2) if ##U_1## and ##U_2## are in ##W##, then
    ##U_1 + U_2 \in W##, 3) if ##\alpha ## is a scalar, then ##\alpha U\in W##

3. The attempt at a solution
    assume that ##\exists~x,y,z \in U_1\cup U_2\cup U_3 ~## such that, ##x \in U_1 ~, y \in U_2 ~ and~~ z \in U_3##.
    We know that, ##x+y+z~\in U_1\cup U_2\cup U_3##, hence ##x+y+z~is~in~either~U_1 ~or~U_2 ~or ~U_3##
    Assume, WOLOG, that ##x+y+z~\in~U_1 ,~then~ y+z \in U_1 ,~moreover,~y+z\in U_1 \cup U_2~##,thus
    ##z\in U_1 \cup U_2~,~and~we~have~two~cases~to~consider##.
    ##i)~ z \in U_1 ~,~then~y+z\in U_1 ,~\implies~y\in U_1 ~, thus,~ any~z\in~U_3 ~, then~z\in U_1~,~and~any~y \in~U_2 ~, then~y\in U_2##
    ##hence,~U_2 ~and~U_3 ~\subset U_1##
    ##ii) ~z\in U_2##, then I don't know how to proceed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, you can start considering two. Assume that ##U## and ##W## are subspaces of a vector space ##V##. It is possible to prove that if ##U\cup W## is a subspace then either ##U\subseteq W## or ##W\subseteq U##. The idea is that: assume ##U\not\subseteq W## and ##W\not\subseteq U## and pick ##u\in U## and ##w\in W## with ##u\not\in W## and ##w\not\in U## then look at the sum ##u+w\in U\cup W##?

4. Sep 14, 2016 #3
    Hello, thank you for your answer, I have proved the case for the union of two subspaces (I used the same idea that you suggested ) , my problem is the union of three subspaces.
    The post is not complete yet, as I'am learning how to post using latex,I intended to delete this thread but I couldn't, so right now I'am editing the thread to fix latex problems and include my proposed answer.

5. Sep 14, 2016 #4

Ssnow

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted