1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting Parametric Equations

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1
    I have an upcoming exam, and I'm having trouble grasping some concepts. The things that are currently perplexing me are parametric equations and rectangular equations and converting between the two. I have a problem like this

Given the parametric equations x = e^(-t) + 1 and y = e^(-2t) - 3, find the corresponding rectangular equation and sketch the curve of orientation.

To eliminate the parameter, I set the x equation equal to t as such:
    t = -ln(x-1)

and then substituted this value into the y equation to get:
    y = e^[ln(x - 1)] - 3
    and got y = x - 4 as my final equation, but I'm not so confident in this answer.

Then I'm told to find a set of parametric equatiions for the rectangular equation (x - 2)² + y² = 9

I set x equal to t and soved for y and ended up with
    y = sqrt(t²-4t+13)

This seems like only half the answer to me, but I barely know where to start, let alone how to continue. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when I finally figure these concepts out, but I can't for the life of me wrap my head around any of it, and I have no access to a tutor between now and my exam. Any help/guidance is appreciated.

Edit: I see now I may have posted this in the wrong forum. My bad.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2
    for the first one, your substitution was wrong, you should get e^(-2t) = e^(-2(-ln(x-1))) which doesn't go down to just (x-1)

for the second one I think you get down to y^2=t^2+4t+13 right? then you square root both sides? you should get y=+ or - sqrt(....) since both +sqrt(...) and -sqrt(...) will satisfy that equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?