Converting spectrum into velocity space

In summary, the individual lines in a spectrum can be related to wind speed using a formula involving Delta v and wavelength.
Piano man
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to convert a spectrum from wavelength space into velocity space.

I thought it would be a simple relation, but I can't see it - maybe I'm missing something?

I've got Flux v Wavelength at the moment, so I converted into frequency space.
I've played around with [itex]h\nu=1/2 mv^2[/itex], but unsure what to use for mass.

I also looked at a Doppler relation, but I'm sure that's for individual lines rather than for an entire spectrum.

If someone could put me on the right track, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I presume one is referring to particles, because light of different frequencies propagates at the speed of light.

For particles, the wavelength is given by [itex]\lambda = \frac{h}{mv}[/itex], or conversely

[itex] v = \frac{h}{m\lambda}[/itex]

See also this thread - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=68679

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I forgot to say in the original post that I'm looking at spectra that have been redshifted due to mass outflows. I'm trying to get this wind velocity on the x-axis.

What I think I have to do is identify and measure some prominent lines, calculate the redshift by comparing to known values and then come up with some relation that relates the wavelength to the mass velocity. Does that sound plausible?

I'm really not sure about that last part though - I don't think the usual [itex]c=\lambda \nu[/itex] makes sense there..

Any pointers on that?

Thank you.

One is trying to relate doppler shift in radar (at different frequencies) to wind speed, as in doppler radar or radar anemometry? Similar concept to laser doppler anemometry.

Wind as in air (related to the above, which uses a pitch-catch method), or wind as in solar/stellar/ISM particles (a bit different since it's based on catch (of emissions))?

I think what you are after is [tex]v={c \Delta \lambda \over \lambda}[/tex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength of the line of interest, [itex]\Delta \lambda[/itex] is the difference in the measured wavelength and [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Last edited:
Astronuc - I haven't come across radar anemometry - how would that apply here? And it's the stellar wind velocity I'm looking for.

matt.o - That's exactly the equation I've been using!
Well, a variant of it - I've got [tex]\Delta v=v-v_{rad}[/tex] to account for the radial velocity of the star.
So I've been able to calculate velocities in km/s for individual lines, but I'm not sure how to go about getting a plot with Flux on the y-axis and Velocity on the x-axis. So for example, I've calculated the h and k lines for Mg II (measured at 2796.9A and 2804.1A respectively) and corresponding to 146.9km/s and 146.5km/s respectively, using your formula above.
How would this translate onto a flux/velocity plot?

1. What is the process of converting spectrum into velocity space?

The process of converting spectrum into velocity space involves using the Doppler effect to measure the velocity of an object based on its emitted or absorbed light. This is done by analyzing the shift in the wavelength of the light, which can be used to calculate the object's velocity.

2. Why is it important to convert spectrum into velocity space?

Converting spectrum into velocity space allows us to accurately measure the velocity of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. This information is crucial for understanding the motion and dynamics of these objects, as well as for studying the evolution of the universe.

3. What tools are used to convert spectrum into velocity space?

The most commonly used tool for converting spectrum into velocity space is a spectrograph, which is a type of instrument that separates light into its component wavelengths. Other tools such as interferometers and spectrometers can also be used for this purpose.

4. What is the difference between redshift and blueshift in terms of converting spectrum into velocity space?

Redshift and blueshift refer to the direction of the wavelength shift in the spectrum. Redshift occurs when the wavelength of an object's light is stretched, indicating that the object is moving away from us. Blueshift occurs when the wavelength is compressed, indicating that the object is moving towards us. Both redshift and blueshift can be used to determine an object's velocity.

5. Are there any limitations to converting spectrum into velocity space?

Yes, there are certain limitations to converting spectrum into velocity space. One limitation is that this method can only be used for objects that are emitting or absorbing light, which may not be applicable to all celestial objects. Additionally, the accuracy of the velocity measurements can be affected by factors such as the resolution of the instrument and the presence of interfering signals.