1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting to cylindrical and then taking div and curl

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Change to cylindrical coordinates and find the divergence

F = <x, y, 0>/(x^2 + y^2)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex] . F = [tex]\frac{1}{\rho}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial\rho F}{\partial\rho}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial\theta}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

i changed into cylindrical by simply having x = [tex]\rho[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
    y =[tex]\rho[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex] and x^2 +y^2 = [tex]\rho[/tex]^2. THen, using the above formula I get cos(theta)/rho^2. The answer is 0 however. Can someone please tell me what i could have messed up?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2
    Wait, must I also convert the i,j,k unit vectors to e(rho), e(theta), and ez before I can use vector operations? If i do this i get the right answer, but I'm still not sure -- my book doesn't have a single example excersise so I dont have too much to work off of. If someone could help me out that would be appreciated greatly. Thank you

4. Feb 22, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. You have to convert the basis vectors as well. You should get F_r=1/r and the other components zero, so div(F)=0.

5. Feb 22, 2008 #4
    that is in fact what I got. Thank you very much for the help -- unfortunately my book offers only theory and no examples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?