Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Converting to cylindrical and then taking div and curl

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Change to cylindrical coordinates and find the divergence

F = <x, y, 0>/(x^2 + y^2)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex] . F = [tex]\frac{1}{\rho}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial\rho F}{\partial\rho}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial\theta}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

i changed into cylindrical by simply having x = [tex]\rho[/tex]cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
    y =[tex]\rho[/tex]sin[tex]\theta[/tex] and x^2 +y^2 = [tex]\rho[/tex]^2. THen, using the above formula I get cos(theta)/rho^2. The answer is 0 however. Can someone please tell me what i could have messed up?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2
    Wait, must I also convert the i,j,k unit vectors to e(rho), e(theta), and ez before I can use vector operations? If i do this i get the right answer, but I'm still not sure -- my book doesn't have a single example excersise so I dont have too much to work off of. If someone could help me out that would be appreciated greatly. Thank you

4. Feb 22, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. You have to convert the basis vectors as well. You should get F_r=1/r and the other components zero, so div(F)=0.

5. Feb 22, 2008 #4
    that is in fact what I got. Thank you very much for the help -- unfortunately my book offers only theory and no examples.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook