Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution and Impulse Signals

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    I am a little confused about convolutions.

I know that convolution is the multiplication and then integral of the two signals. The confusion starts at the commutative property. If i try to change the time-shift from signal to another for any 2 general functions or equations the commutative property doesn't work out.

for example:
    let x(t) = sin(t)
    and h(t) = t^2

If you try to convolve the signals above with the commutative property you get 2 different results.

However, the convolution's commutative property does work out if h(t) were to be a impulse function. So, does it mean that convolution is only an integral between an impulse signal and a generic signal and not two generic signals? (which is the part i am confused because i have seen examples of convolving 2 different signals)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you are referring to. This article shows how convolutions are symmetric
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution" [Broken]
    Scroll down to "Definitions" for the commutative property.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook