Cookie Question: Ratio of Diameter to Thickness and Uncertainty

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hi.O303
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Uncertainty
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Hi.O303
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I saw similar types of problems like this using Google search, but none of them answered this question specifically.

Homework Statement



As you eat your way through a bag of chocolate chip cookies, you observe that each cookie is a circular disk with a diameter of 8.5 +/- 0.02 cm and a thickness of 0.050 +/- 0.005 cm.

Find the ratio of the diameter to the thickness and the uncertainty in this ratio.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


So what I did was just put 8.50 +/- 0.02 cm divided by 0.050 cm. My answer was :
170 +/- 4cm

Their answer was : 170 +/- 20 cm.

So I see where they got the 170 from, but I'm not sure why they 20cm is there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In such questions, try to get the biggest ratio possible and the smallest one.
 
Okay, I did that and I got the two answers : 154.9 and 188.4, but the difference between them isn't 20.
 
They seem to be rounding the error to one significant figure.

Have you been told about adding the percent error when doing multiplication or division?

EDIT:
Okay, I did that and I got the two answers : 154.9 and 188.4, but the difference between them isn't 20.

Just FYI, those numbers are a little off. For example,
8.48/0.055 = ____? (slightly less than the 154.9 you gave)