1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty for a ratio ( help!)

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    Uncertainty for a ratio (urgent help!)

Question: As you eat your way through a bag of chocolate chip cookies, you observe that each cookie is a circular disk with a diameter of d = 8.32 cm +/-1×10−2 cm and a thickness of h = 9.3×10−2 cm +/-1×10−3 cm.
    Find the uncertainty in this ratio of the diameter to the thickness.

Hint:Notice the division.
    If we are dividing that is a negative exponent.

The ratio of the diameter to the thickness is 89.5. How can I use the calculus error prop./the partial derivative to solve this? The hint also made things more confusing.
    Someone said to said it up like this or something: d*h^-1, but I still don't understand.
    Plus, I don't see how you can get a ratio from the partial derivative formula. And I tried manipulating the volume formula: v=[(pi d^2)/4]*h, but it can't go to d/h....

I was spending my time yesterday and today just to solve this problem and I couldn't figure it out and it was the only problem I had trouble with....sorry I'm very frusterated right now >:[

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    Re: Uncertainty for a ratio (urgent help!)

nevermind I figured it out :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook