Cool 2-D functions for graphing

In summary, the conversation centered around sharing and discussing different 2-d functions that can be used in a plotting program. Some equations were provided and a link to a function grapher was shared. The conversation also touched on an upcoming online function evaluation tool and a new thread for a 3D function graphing tool.
LPHY
I am collecting nice 2-d functions to demonstrate graphing tool, if anyone have great functions which will look great on 2-d plotting, please let me know.

Here are few equations I am using now. if you guys need I can provide a link to plot each of these graphs. The plotting program I am using allow to use up to 3 different function same time.

(1) sin(pi*x/5)-tan(x*2)
(2) min(sin(pi*x-2),0.452)
(3) F1::cos(pi*x) / (-ln(2)*x), F2::sqrt(9-x^2), F3::-sqrt(9-x^2)
(4) F1::x*sin(10*x), F2::x, F3::-x
(5) F1::ln(x)*cos(15*x), F2::ln(x), F3::-ln(x)
(6) sin(954*x)-2*cos(x)

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This one looks nice:

f(x) = ((x-0.2)sin(1/(x-0.2)) + x +0.8)(10(x-0.1)^2+0.9)

I really like this one:
f(x)=0

It is one of the most important functions you'll ever meet! :smile:

radou said:
This one looks nice:

f(x) = ((x-0.2)sin(1/(x-0.2)) + x +0.8)(10(x-0.1)^2+0.9)
I tried to plot this function, but I am getting an error (syntax error)
((x-0.2)*sin(1/(x-0.2))+x+0.8)*(10*(x-0.1)^2+0.9)

LPHY said:
I tried to plot this function, but I am getting an error (syntax error)
((x-0.2)*sin(1/(x-0.2))+x+0.8)*(10*(x-0.1)^2+0.9)

Should work. It is defined on <-infty, 0.2>

arildno said:
I really like this one:
f(x)=0
Is this a function or constant ?
LOL

It's a function. To each value of x, there is assigned only a single function value.

arildno said:
Just another wavy thing. Can' compete against the stark elegance and cool sobriety of MY function. :approve:

May be true. But your function didn't get a wow. :tongue2: :biggrin: :approve:

radou said:
May be true. But your function didn't get a wow. :tongue2: :biggrin: :approve:
Mere newbie lack of taste. He'll get a more refined and cultured taste as he plunges deeper into the mysteries of maths.

robphy said:
can it do an exponential function?
It can do all these functions

sin(), cos(), tan(), asin(), acos(), atan()
ln() - standard natural logarithmic
e - natual base
sqrt() - square root
abs() - absolute value
max() - maximum of two numbers
min() - minimum of two numbers
floor() - revious nearest integer
ceil() - next nearest integer
round() - nearest integer

Just a heads up guys, I am working on a online function evaluation tool, Which will automatically generate data table for given function for given boundaries. Will let you know once this is ready.

Also here is the new thread I created for new 3D function graphing tool

1. What are some examples of "cool" 2-D functions for graphing?

Some examples include sine and cosine waves, parabolas, logarithmic functions, exponential functions, and polynomial functions.

2. How do I graph a 2-D function?

To graph a 2-D function, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane. Choose a range of values for the x-axis, plug those values into the function, and plot the corresponding points on the y-axis. Then, connect the points to create the graph.

3. What are some real-world applications of graphing 2-D functions?

Graphing 2-D functions is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, analyze supply and demand in economics, and design structures in engineering.

4. Can I graph a 2-D function on a computer or do I need special tools?

Yes, you can graph a 2-D function on a computer using graphing software or online graphing calculators. These tools make it easier to plot points and can also provide additional features such as labeling axes and creating multiple graphs on the same coordinate plane.

5. Are there any tips for creating visually appealing graphs of 2-D functions?

To create visually appealing graphs, make sure to choose a suitable scale for the axes, label them clearly, and use different colors or styles for multiple functions on the same graph. You can also add a title and key to explain the graph's purpose and any symbols or colors used.