Cooling tower -- hot and cold water tanks

• Thread starter BenjaminSa
  • Start date
Hi
In some projects, I saw that hot and cold water tanks have been used for open circuit cooling towers. What is the need to use these tanks?

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Can you give some links to the projects you saw? We need to understand the kind of project you're asking about.

Likes BenjaminSa and russ_watters
russ_watters
Mentor
There has to be a cold water tank to receive what's coming out of the tower and regulate the fill level of the system. But I'm not sure why you would need a warm water tank.

There has to be a cold water tank to receive what's coming out of the tower and regulate the fill level of the system. But I'm not sure why you would need a warm water tank.
maybe for surge purposes.

Can you give some links to the projects you saw? We need to understand the kind of project you're asking about.
The cooling tower unit is used for the aluminum casting workshop
And the tanks were made of concrete
cold water tank: about 350 m3
warm water tank: about 350 m3
cooling water flow: 450 m3/hr

russ_watters
Mentor
maybe for surge purposes.
Sure, that's why it is done on the cool(downstream) side. When you turn on/off the tower, the tower fills/empties, so that water has to come from/go somewhere. But I can't envision a surge need on the upstream side. Can you think of something specific?

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
If the water includes chemical treatments, it may be that they want to capture and reuse the water if the tower has to be drained for maintenance purposes. Two tanks just to allow gravity drain???

gmax137
Science Advisor
Is the hot water pumped into the tower? If so, maybe the hot tank is simply to provide suction head for the pump?

A sketch of the configuration would help.

russ_watters
Mentor
Not the OP, but here's a typically cooling tower piping diagram with one surge tank (the tower basin):

Nd9GcRyrREENe2vprloja6vSR7aa01dToF1rVLgoA&usqp=CAU.png

Likes BenjaminSa and gmax137
gmax137
Science Advisor
Aha, that makes more sense, pump the cooler water using the tower basin for pump suction.

Likes BenjaminSa and russ_watters