1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinates of a particle (coupled differential equations)

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm given two equations for coordinates of a certain particle in the xy plane, [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]+ωy=0
    and [itex]\dot{y}[/itex]-ωx=0.
    Then using the complex variable z=x+iy, find the differential for z, and solve it. Hence give x and y as functions of time.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how this is gotten:
    [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]-iωz=0

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Linday12! :smile:

Can you write [itex]\dot z[/itex] in terms of x and y?
    And then substitute the equations you have?

Can you also write iωz in terms of x and y?

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    Hi. I'm not really sure what to do. As far as I know, taking [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{x}[/itex]+i[itex]\dot{y}[/itex], and [itex]\dot{y}[/itex]=ωx and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]=-ωy, which doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I have no idea what I am doing.

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

So substitute your 2nd and 3rd equation in the first?

6. Dec 14, 2011 #5
    Yes. I then get [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]=-ωy+iωx=ω(-y+ix). So I can sort of see the relation here now, except my variables seem to be the wrong way, and I have no idea where the [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]-iωz=o comes from still, because i would be gone if the variables were the proper way and I subbed in z for the x-iy.

7. Dec 14, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

What is iz in terms of x and y?

8. Dec 14, 2011 #7
    Wow, interesting. So [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]=iωz → [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]-iωz=0 because iz=ix-y. Thank you! Sorry, one more question. Now that I have that, when solving it I get z=[itex]z_{0}[/itex][itex]e^{ωt}[/itex], but the answer has an additional phase angle [itex]\phi[/itex] in it, so I was just wondering if there was a quick explanation for that.

It's been a while since I did any differentials (I haven't had a class in them yet), I think perhaps I'm used to the general formula that includes the phase angle in the constant z_0, but if you were to solve it you would get ln(z)=iωt+c, which is where the phase angle came from, but then where does the z_0 come from? Because the answer is z=z_0[itex]e^{ωt+\phi}[/itex] Sorry, I hope that makes sense.

9. Dec 15, 2011 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Your z0 is the integration constant that is itself a complex number.
    Write [itex]z_0=r_0e^{i\phi}[/itex] and you get:
    [tex]z=z_0e^{i\omega t}=r_0e^{i\phi}e^{i\omega t}=r_0e^{i(\omega t + \phi)}[/tex]

Btw, note the extra [itex]i[/itex] and the use of the non-negative real number r0 instead of z0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook