1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinates of antisymmetric matrix

1. May 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let's say that V is the vector space of all antisymmetric 3x3 matrices. Find the coordinates of the matrix [tex]A=\begin{bmatrix}
    0 & 1 & -2\\
    -1 & 0 & -3\\
    2 & 3 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex] in ratio with the base:

[tex]E_1=\begin{bmatrix}
    0 & 1 & 1\\
    -1 & 0 & 0\\
    -1 & 0 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]E_2=\begin{bmatrix}
    0 & 0 & 1\\
    0 & 0 & 1\\
    -1 & -1 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]E_3=\begin{bmatrix}
    0 & -1 & 0\\
    1 & 0 & -1\\
    0 & 1 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

antisymetric matrix is only if [itex]A^t=-A[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The matrix is equal to:

[tex]f: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3 , f(x_1,x_2,x_3)=(x_2-2x_3,-x_1-3x_3,2x_1+3x_2)[/tex]

The base is [tex]B={(x_2+x_3,-x_1,-x_1) ; (x_3,x_3,-x_1-x_2) ; (-x_2,x_1-x_3,x_2)}[/tex]

What should I do now?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand what the problem is asking? It's exactly like many other problems you have done in the past: write the given "vector" (the matrix A) as a linear combination of the given basis "vectors" (the matrices E1, E2, E3). That is, find numbers a1, a2, a3 so that A= a1E1+ a2E2+ a3E3. Those numbers are the "coordinates".

Setting corresponding components on both sides equal will give you 9 equations, of course, but they should reduce to 3 independent equations for a1, a2, and a3. For example, the upper left component (A11) of every matrix is 0 so that just becomes 0= 0a1+ 0a2+ 0a3 which is satisfied by all numbers.

4. May 28, 2008 #3
    I understand. Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure what the problem was asking for...
    I found [tex](a_1,a_2,a_3)=(1,-3,0)[/tex] and in my book get (2,-2,1). Probably is my mistake, I will check again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?