1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coriolis acceleration at the surface of a region in the ocean

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello everyone,
    I am having some problems with a question about the coriolis acceleration in a particular region. Attached is an image showing velocity measurements going in a circular motion at the surface of the ocean. A to B is 200 km and the fastest velocity is .5 m/s. The center is located at 30 degrees N. I am asked to make vectors of coriolis acceleration at the small circles, which I am assuming would go to the right of each one. I am also asked to sketch the magnitude of the coriolis acceleration as a function of x along the line from A to B. X is the distance from the center of the figure along the line AB. It is also asked to sketch the x (eastward) and y (northward) component of the coriolis acceleration. I am really stumped on these last two things and any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hello hamilbr! welcome to pf! :smile:

i don't understand how far you've got, and where you're stuck :confused:

what equation are you using for the definition of Coriolis force?

what result does it give you for a typical point (x,y) in the diagram?

4. Jul 3, 2013 #3
    coriolis acceleration at the ocean surface

Hi Tiny-tim,

I am assuming I use (2 omega V sin latitude) for coriolis acceleration. I am just confused about sketching the magnitude of the acceleration as a function of x along the line from A to B where y=0. Would that mean that I start at the center and go out to 100 Km since that would be the radius? I am sure I am thinking too much and it is probably a fairly simple sketch. All the info I was given is in that first post so I feel like I am missing something.

5. Jul 3, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi hamilbr! :smile:
    let's see …

the velocity, V, from A to B is either due north or due south

so to get the graph of the magnitude of the coriolis acceleration from A to B, plot the value of 2ΩV|sinθ|, where θ is the angle between the earth's axis and due north, along the y-axis, against distance from -100 to 100 along the x-axis :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted