1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictionless body on Earth's Surface

1. Jan 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Will a frictionless body placed on the Earth move, and if so, describe it's path and acceleration.

2. Relevant equations
    I was given no equations, but I believe that coriolis and centripetal forces would act on the body.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assume that we have to assume an initial velocity of 0 relative to the earth. However, from an external reference frame, the body would appear to be moving as a point on the earth. At the equator this would be approx 1040 mph. However, at latitude angle φ this would decrease as you move towards a pole to cosφ.
    The coriolis acceleration, centripetal acceleration, gravity and a force normal to the Earth's surface would act on the body. I assume that gravity and the force normal to the Surface would cancel each other out, but I am not certain. I am having trouble identifying an equation that would capture all of these forces on the body.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to allow for the actual shape of tne Earth, i.e. not as a sphere.
    Or just consider an object that exists on the Earth's surface and does behave pretty much as frictionless. Can you think of anything?

4. Jan 23, 2017 #3
    I can only think of fluids as such, water and atmosphere. Those have different behaviors though.
    One man-made object that approaches frictionless would be a mag-lev train.
    Similar question, would a mag-lev be (slowly) induced into movement by coriolis or other rotational Earth force if it was left stationary?

5. Jan 23, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was thinking of a boat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted