Coriolis expression - Question about sign

In summary, the Coriolis acceleration expression is Ac = -2ω x v, where ω is the vector indicating the rotation axis direction of Earth and v is the velocity of a body. The minus sign in the expression depends on the choice of reference frame, and it is negative in the Earth's rotating frame due to the presence of the Coriolis force.
Curious2013

Homework Statement

Dear all

I have a question concerning the Coriolis acceleration expression. I learned it as Ac = -2ω x v, where ω is the vector which indicates the rotation axis direction of Earth and v the velocity of a body that I want to check the Coriolis effect on.

My question: where the minus sign comes from? As far as I understand, it depends on what reference frame I use (inertial or non inertial - the minus comes from the latter, like the Earth, in my conception). Am I correct?

Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Curious2013! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Curious2013 said:
I have a question concerning the Coriolis acceleration expression. I learned it as Ac = -2ω x v, where ω is the vector which indicates the rotation axis direction of Earth and v the velocity of a body that I want to check the Coriolis effect on.

My question: where the minus sign comes from? As far as I understand, it depends on what reference frame I use (inertial or non inertial - the minus comes from the latter, like the Earth, in my conception). Am I correct?

There's no Coriolis force in an inertial frame. :wink:

(same as centrifugal force)

The sign is solely due to the choice of coordinates. Here's a site that derives it as positive:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/wind/deriv.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
TheEtherWind said:
Here's a site that derives it as positive:

no, it derives it as negative

Coriolis force exists only in the Earth's frame (the rotating frame),

so in that frame (d2R/dt2)Earth is on one side of the equation, and everything else on the other side …

the Coriolis force then does have a negative sign :wink:

The minus sign in the Coriolis acceleration expression, Ac = -2ω x v, comes from the fact that the Coriolis effect is a result of the Earth's rotation, which introduces a fictitious acceleration in the non-inertial reference frame of the Earth. In this reference frame, objects appear to be deflected to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This is due to the fact that the Earth's rotation axis is perpendicular to the plane of motion, and the cross product between the Earth's rotation vector ω and the velocity vector v results in a minus sign. Therefore, the minus sign in the Coriolis acceleration expression is necessary to account for the direction of the Coriolis effect in the non-inertial reference frame of the Earth.

What is the Coriolis expression?

The Coriolis expression, also known as the Coriolis force, is a mathematical formula used to describe the apparent deflection of objects on a rotating surface, such as the Earth. It takes into account the rotation of the object and its velocity in relation to the rotating surface.

How is the Coriolis expression calculated?

The Coriolis expression is calculated using the cross product of the velocity vector and the rotation vector. This results in a force vector that is perpendicular to both of these vectors. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the rotation and the velocity of the object.

Why is the sign of the Coriolis expression important?

The sign of the Coriolis expression is important because it determines the direction of the resulting force. In the Northern Hemisphere, the Coriolis force acts to the right of the direction of motion, while in the Southern Hemisphere, it acts to the left. This can have significant impacts on weather patterns and ocean currents.

How does the Coriolis expression affect weather patterns?

The Coriolis expression plays a key role in the formation and movement of weather systems. It causes air masses to rotate and deflect, which can lead to the formation of cyclones and anticyclones. It also influences the direction and intensity of winds, which can impact temperature and precipitation patterns.

What other applications does the Coriolis expression have?

In addition to its role in weather patterns, the Coriolis expression is also important in oceanography, astronomy, and aviation. It can affect the movement of ocean currents, the rotation of planets and stars, and the flight paths of aircraft. Understanding the Coriolis force is essential in these fields for predicting and explaining various phenomena.