Correct Parametrization for Calculating Area of a Tube?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
Redwaves
Messages
134
Reaction score
7
Homework Statement
Write the parameterization of a tube ##r = \frac{1}{2}## around C then find the area of this tube:

##C \subset R^3## = Circle of radius 1 at the origin in the plane xy
Relevant Equations
##S(s, \theta) = \gamma (s) + r \beta (\theta)##
Hi,

I'm trying to find the area of this tube using ##\int \int ||\vec{N}|| ds d\theta##. However, I get 0 as result which is wrong.

So at this point, I'm wondering if I made a mistake during the parametrization of the tube. This is how I parametrized the tube.
##S(s, \theta) = (cos(s), sin(s) , 0) + \frac{1}{2} cos(\theta)\vec{N(s)} + \frac{1}{2} sin(\theta)\vec{B(s)}##
= ##S(s, \theta) = (cos(s), sin(s) , 0) + \frac{1}{2} cos(\theta)(-cos (s), -sin (s), 0) + \frac{1}{2} sin(\theta)(0,0,1)##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your parametrization appears to be correct, although your definition of [itex]\theta[/itex] is not how I would define it: In cylindrical polars [itex](r,s,z)[/itex] you're taking the circle [itex](r - 1)^2 + z^2 = \frac14[/itex] and revolving it about the [itex]z[/itex] axis. So first I would set [itex]r = 1 + \frac12\cos\theta[/itex] and [itex]z = \frac12 \sin \theta[/itex] and then I would set [itex]x = r(\theta) \cos s[/itex] and [itex]y = r(\theta)\sin s[/itex].

Please show the rest of your working: What do you get for [itex]\|\vec N\|[/itex], and what limits are you using for your surface integral?
 
I get ##\vec{N} = (-cos(s), -sin(s) , 0)##

And the limits I'm using are ##[0,2\pi]## for both ds and ##d\theta##, since I have a circle moving around a circle.