Correct Parametrization for Calculating Area of a Tube?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a tube using a specified integral, but the result is incorrect. The speaker then questions their parametrization method and provides their parametrization for the tube. The expert responds that the parametrization appears to be correct and suggests a different definition for theta. The expert also asks for more information about the calculation, including the magnitude of vector N and the limits used for the surface integral. The speaker provides the requested information.
Redwaves
Homework Statement
Write the parameterization of a tube ##r = \frac{1}{2}## around C then find the area of this tube:

##C \subset R^3## = Circle of radius 1 at the origin in the plane xy
Relevant Equations
##S(s, \theta) = \gamma (s) + r \beta (\theta)##
Hi,

I'm trying to find the area of this tube using ##\int \int ||\vec{N}|| ds d\theta##. However, I get 0 as result which is wrong.

So at this point, I'm wondering if I made a mistake during the parametrization of the tube. This is how I parametrized the tube.
##S(s, \theta) = (cos(s), sin(s) , 0) + \frac{1}{2} cos(\theta)\vec{N(s)} + \frac{1}{2} sin(\theta)\vec{B(s)}##
= ##S(s, \theta) = (cos(s), sin(s) , 0) + \frac{1}{2} cos(\theta)(-cos (s), -sin (s), 0) + \frac{1}{2} sin(\theta)(0,0,1)##

Physics news on Phys.org
Your parametrization appears to be correct, although your definition of [itex]\theta[/itex] is not how I would define it: In cylindrical polars [itex](r,s,z)[/itex] you're taking the circle [itex](r - 1)^2 + z^2 = \frac14[/itex] and revolving it about the [itex]z[/itex] axis. So first I would set [itex]r = 1 + \frac12\cos\theta[/itex] and [itex]z = \frac12 \sin \theta[/itex] and then I would set [itex]x = r(\theta) \cos s[/itex] and [itex]y = r(\theta)\sin s[/itex].

Please show the rest of your working: What do you get for [itex]\|\vec N\|[/itex], and what limits are you using for your surface integral?

I get ##\vec{N} = (-cos(s), -sin(s) , 0)##

And the limits I'm using are ##[0,2\pi]## for both ds and ##d\theta##, since I have a circle moving around a circle.

1. What is parameterization of a tube?

Parameterization of a tube is the process of defining and assigning numerical values to the geometric properties of a tube, such as its length, diameter, and curvature. This allows for mathematical modeling and analysis of the tube's behavior.

2. Why is parameterization important in studying tubes?

Parameterization allows for a standardized and quantitative approach to studying tubes, making it easier to compare and analyze different tubes. It also helps in creating accurate simulations and predictions of tube behavior.

3. What are the key parameters used in parameterization of a tube?

The key parameters used in parameterization of a tube include its length, diameter, wall thickness, curvature, and material properties. Other factors such as environmental conditions and loading may also be considered.

4. How is parameterization of a tube different from parameterization of other shapes?

While the basic principles of parameterization remain the same, the specific parameters used for a tube may differ from other shapes. For example, a tube's curvature and wall thickness may be more important than its length or diameter, whereas for a cube, its length, width, and height are typically the most important parameters.

5. What are some applications of parameterization of a tube?

Parameterization of a tube has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. It can be used to analyze the behavior of pipes in fluid flow, study the properties of blood vessels in the human body, or design and optimize structures like bridges and tunnels.