Correct use of words to describe a polarized lens. Grammar

  • Thread starter Thread starter Barclay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lens
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Barclay
Messages
207
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Glare caused by horizontally polarized sunlight that is reflected from a river surface can be reduced if the observer wears ... (i) vertically orientated polarizing sunglasses so they only allow vertically orientated light to pass through.

(ii) polarizing sunglasses that are vertically orientated so they only allow vertically orientated light to pass through.

(iii) polarizing sunglasses that accept only vertically orientated light waves

Which is the correct way to describe the action of a polarizing lens?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I think (iii) but are (i) and (ii) incorrect? Or are all of them incorrect?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They all seem ok, but the first two do read a bit oddly. It sounds as though the sunglasses are vertically oriented (rather than the polarising filters in them). I.e., as though you have to tilt your head sideways to be wearing them.
 
haruspex said:
They all seem ok, but the first two do read a bit oddly. It sounds as though the sunglasses are vertically oriented (rather than the polarising filters in them). I.e., as though you have to tilt your head sideways to be wearing them.
Therefore I will take (iii) to be the best description. Thank you.