Correct use of words to describe a polarized lens. Grammar

• Thread starter Barclay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the conversation discusses how to reduce glare from horizontally polarized sunlight reflected from a river surface. It is suggested that wearing polarizing sunglasses that only allow vertically oriented light to pass through can be effective. The correct way to describe the action of a polarizing lens is to say that it accepts only vertically orientated light waves. While options (i) and (ii) may also work, they may be less accurate in describing the actual function of the sunglasses.
Barclay

Homework Statement

Glare caused by horizontally polarized sunlight that is reflected from a river surface can be reduced if the observer wears ... (i) vertically orientated polarizing sunglasses so they only allow vertically orientated light to pass through.

(ii) polarizing sunglasses that are vertically orientated so they only allow vertically orientated light to pass through.

(iii) polarizing sunglasses that accept only vertically orientated light waves

Which is the correct way to describe the action of a polarizing lens?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think (iii) but are (i) and (ii) incorrect? Or are all of them incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
They all seem ok, but the first two do read a bit oddly. It sounds as though the sunglasses are vertically oriented (rather than the polarising filters in them). I.e., as though you have to tilt your head sideways to be wearing them.

haruspex said:
They all seem ok, but the first two do read a bit oddly. It sounds as though the sunglasses are vertically oriented (rather than the polarising filters in them). I.e., as though you have to tilt your head sideways to be wearing them.
Therefore I will take (iii) to be the best description. Thank you.

What is a polarized lens?

A polarized lens is a type of lens that has a special filter that blocks certain types of light, specifically glare from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow. This results in clearer and more comfortable vision, especially in bright outdoor conditions.

How do I correctly describe a polarized lens?

When describing a polarized lens, it is important to use the correct terminology. You should mention that it has a polarizing filter or polarized film that blocks horizontal light waves, resulting in reduced glare and improved vision. Avoid using terms like "anti-glare" or "UV protection" as these do not accurately describe the purpose of a polarized lens.

Can I use any word to describe a polarized lens?

No, it is important to use the correct words when describing a polarized lens. Using words like "tinted" or "colored" can be misleading as these terms do not accurately describe the function of a polarized lens. Stick to using terms like "polarized" or "polarizing filter" to avoid confusion.

Is grammar important when describing a polarized lens?

Yes, grammar is important when describing a polarized lens as it ensures that your description is clear and accurate. Make sure to use proper punctuation and sentence structure to effectively convey the purpose and function of a polarized lens.

Are there any common mistakes when describing a polarized lens?

One common mistake when describing a polarized lens is using terms like "anti-glare" or "UV protection" instead of "polarized." Another mistake is using incorrect grammar or terminology, which can lead to confusion or incorrect understanding of the function of a polarized lens. It is important to use the correct words and grammar when describing a polarized lens.