1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Correction to a book (magnetic compass)

1. Dec 9, 2017 #1

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

This article (in the picture) states that the end of a compass needle which points toward North is its south pole since the Earth's "magnet" has a North magnet at the North. But in reality, there is a south magnet pole (not sure about that terminology) near Earth's North Pole, attracting all magnets to orient their north poles toward it.
    I guess the confusion is because it is called Magnetic North Pole. So the article authors must've considered that it was a north pole of a magnet.

So is there any procedure for submitting correction suggestions?
    The books is Everything You Need to Ace Science in One Big Fat Notebook, by Michael Geisen ISBN 978-0-7611-6095-3.
    0l6DYKM.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

This has always been confusing due to language, magnetic and geographic poles.

A magnet or compass pole that seeks north is a north magnetic pole.
    Therefore the Northern geographic pole of the Earth has south magnetic polarity.

You can email the publisher. It is often impossible to change something unless there is an other edition.

4. Dec 11, 2017 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

@scottdave I'm sure the response to my email is meant for you.

5. Dec 11, 2017 #4

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Thanks for doing that. That was a quick response. I had not contacted them, yet. So now I do not have to.

6. Dec 23, 2017 #5

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

So how did you go about finding who to email?

7. Dec 24, 2017 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I entered the ISBN 978-0-7611-6095-3 you gave into the bookfinder.com search engine, (notice the low cost of the book, new or used). That identified the publisher as: 'Workman Publishing Company'.

I googled 'Workman Publishing Company' and found; https://www.workman.com/
    That page had a 'Contact Us' link which I followed to get their info@ email address.

I emailed 'Errata. Attn: Author's name …' with the ISBN. I gave a quick description of the problem with an explanation of the pole naming convention and a link to this thread on PF.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted