Magnetic compass and Earth's magnetic field

In summary: Same qualified yes. It's a simple geometric consequence that the two will share the same plane. After all, that's what "aligning" means....
Vibhor
Hello ,

I am having a slight confusion while reading the chapter on Earth's magnetism . If we place a magnetic compass on the floor I.e on Earth's surface , the North (red) of the compass needle points towards magnetic north of Earth .

But would it be correct to say that "the compass needle aligns itself such that it becomes parallel to the horizontal component of Earth's magnetic field " ??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's true, but it's of course simply because compasses are constrained to horizontal movement. If you had say a magnetic needle suspended in a solution, it would orient itself parallel to the actual Earth's field lines. At th the North Pole the needle would be pointing upward.

Likes Vibhor and cnh1995
Ok.

And the compass needle always lies in the magnetic meridian ??

In other words it is always possible to draw a plane that passes through the compass needle and the magnetic axis of Earth .This plane is called the magnetic meridian at the point of location of compass .

Is it correct ?

rumborak said:
That's true, but it's of course simply because compasses are constrained to horizontal movement. If you had say a magnetic needle suspended in a solution, it would orient itself parallel to the actual Earth's field lines. At th the North Pole the needle would be pointing upward.
I think the N pole of the magnet seeks the N magnetic pole of Earth, which is underground, so the compass needle you describe would point down when placed over the North Magnetic Pole.

Vibhor said:
And the compass needle always lies in the magnetic meridian ??

A ... qualified yes. That is, "meridian" is the term for the circles that go through Earth's *rotational* poles, not the magnetic ones. Those differ when you get close enough to the poles.
In a less strict sense your statement is correct though.

In other words it is always possible to draw a plane that passes through the compass needle and the magnetic axis of Earth .This plane is called the magnetic meridian at the point of location of compass .

Same qualified yes. It's a simple geometric consequence that the two will share the same plane. After all, that's what "aligning" means.

rumborak said:
... because compasses are constrained to horizontal movement. If you had say a magnetic needle suspended in a solution, it would orient itself parallel to the actual Earth's field lines...
I remember we had at school a special compass mounted in a vertical plane, which was used to measure "the angle of dip" , I suppose the vertical component of the Earth's field.
I can't remember any use for knowing this! So I looked in WikiP, but they don't seem to know any reason to measure this angle either. My guess is it's mainly of interest to geologists - either interested in the Earth's magnetism, movement of the poles and what have you, or looking for magnetic anomalies to indicate mineral deposits etc.

Merlin3189 said:
I remember we had at school a special compass mounted in a vertical plane, which was used to measure "the angle of dip" , I suppose the vertical component of the Earth's field.
I can't remember any use for knowing this! So I looked in WikiP, but they don't seem to know any reason to measure this angle either. My guess is it's mainly of interest to geologists - either interested in the Earth's magnetism, movement of the poles and what have you, or looking for magnetic anomalies to indicate mineral deposits etc.
A use for knowing this?
Breaking down the Earth's magnetic field into its x, y, and z components was the only way I was able to complete an experiment a few years back.

This post shows the basic setup, but the results were all wrong.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-does-ammeter-work.779075/#post-4900375

From a later post; "I'm still trying to figure out why, when I'm told that the Earth's flux is ≈0.54 gauss where I live, I come up with a smaller number [0.33 gauss]."

Here, knowing I only needed one of the components, I concluded the experiment with a reading of 0.43 gauss, which was close enough to the 0.49 gauss it was supposed to be.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-does-ammeter-work.779075/page-2#post-4906555

Anyways, that's one use.

------
ps. I would link to the thread in general, but we went so far off topic, it was embarrassing. And we never did figure out how a 'clip on' ammeter works! Though, it was fun trying.

:rolleyes:
tech99 said:
I think the N pole of the magnet seeks the N magnetic pole of Earth, which is underground, so the compass needle you describe would point down when placed over the North Magnetic Pole.

other way around, opposites attract, similar repels

but it is a bit more complicated than that
what we call the magnetic north pole on the Earth is actually magnetic south pole polarised
and the magnetic south pole ( off Antarctica) is magnetic north pole polarised

why you ask ?

The magnetic poles are defined by which end of the magnet that the field lines emerge and re-enter the magnet. Field lines emerge from the north pole and re-enter at the south pole

220px-VFPt_cylindrical_magnet_thumb.svg.png

the Earth's magnetic field is thus ...

earth_magnetic_field_poles.jpg

so as can be seen the magnetic polarities are opposite to what is expected

A bar magnet or compass needle 's N pole end seeks out the magnetic south pole
(opposites attract) which currently happens to be up in the geographic north of the northern hemisphere

Another magnetic reversal of the Earth's field at some time in the future ( as has happened often in the past) will restore the normal. but then all the red end of compass needles will indicate the other way :wink: :rolleyes:
Dave

Last edited:

1. What is a magnetic compass?

A magnetic compass is a navigational tool that uses Earth's magnetic field to determine direction. It typically consists of a magnetized needle that aligns with the Earth's magnetic field and points towards the Earth's magnetic north pole.

2. How does a magnetic compass work?

A magnetic compass works by utilizing the Earth's magnetic field. The needle of the compass is magnetized and is able to align itself with the Earth's magnetic field. This allows the needle to point towards the Earth's magnetic north pole, which is close to the geographic north pole.

3. What is Earth's magnetic field?

Earth's magnetic field is a natural phenomenon that surrounds the Earth. It is created by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's core and extends out into space. The magnetic field acts as a shield, protecting the Earth from harmful solar radiation and also plays a role in navigation for animals and humans.

4. How is Earth's magnetic field measured?

Earth's magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device measures the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific location on Earth. Scientists also use satellites to map the Earth's magnetic field on a global scale.

5. Can Earth's magnetic field change?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field can change over time. In fact, it has reversed its polarity (north and south poles) numerous times in the Earth's history. This change is a natural process and can occur every few hundred thousand years. However, the changes are gradual and do not have a significant impact on our daily lives.